Ignition timing steel tanker w/ Bosch points

Started by t20sl, January 13, 2007, 06:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

My manual says to check pole gap after timing.  What it does not mention is where the flywheel supposed to be. At TDC?  It looks like it should be otherwise pole gap is way off instead of off 1/4". Anyone know for sure?  What do you do when you can't get that much pole gap???????  Thanks Ted A.

slvrbrdfxr

Ted,
The picture I'm looking at in the manual shows the pole dimension being taken at TDC.
Dave McCullough

Kip Kern

End pole gap is set with the Sachs pole gap tool or you can use a 90mm circle that adjusts the 4 windings on the Bosch ignition plate (centers them)  Set the timing at 3mm BTDC and the points fully open at .015 and that's it.  CIAO

t20sl

Kip:  The pole gap I am referring to is the distance between the back edge of the bottom ignition shoe pole and the trailing edge of the closest magnet just clockwise of this pole.  You need to look in a manual to understand this.
Dave:  Anyway my problem is with the backing plate rotated as far advanced as it will go and with flywheel at TDC I only have .600".  Manual says it should be .866" to 1.063".  Anybody ever run across this?

slvrbrdfxr

Ted,
That is strange for the pole gap to be so far out of limits. Are you sure the flywheel and base plate are the correct parts numbers ?? That's all I can think of to cause the problem. Let us know if you figure something out.
Dave McCullough

t20sl

Dave:  That is very possible.  Flywheel is not marked in any way as to a number or timing marks.  Bosch could have keyed flywheel in different location by a few degrees.  I guess that is what I am thinking but wanted to see if anyone has run into this.  Seems weird Bosch would have something that close, but different.  If I run across a known flywheel I could try it on and see what it measures.  Ted

john durrill

Ted ,
I have seen the part in the manual your talking about but have never been able to figure out how you can get a mag set up to do that and have the right point gap and timeing. Maybe Doug or someone from the
old Penton org can shed some light on it. The distances from the pole ends and the point cam are fixed in relationship to one another. Point gap is all you can change and that only a small amout. Wonder if the measurements were printed wrong in the manual?
 John D.

Lew Mayer

I think if you set your points and timing and it runs good, I wouldn't worry about the pole gap. JMO

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer