New Member - Glad to be Part of POG

Started by LarryVolenec, January 18, 2007, 01:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryVolenec

Just wanted to take a few minutes and introduce myself as a new member on the POG board.

My name is Larry Volenec I am 45 years old and I live in Ormond Beach which is just north of Daytona Beach in Florida.

When I was in high school, I did some trail riding and started back riding again last year.  My first purchase was a Hodaka 125 Wombat which I rebuilt with help from John Durrill, Strictly Hodaka, George Cone,  and many others with the goal of making it reliable enough to ride in the 2006 ISDTRR.  With my low experience level and mechanical skills, I was very happy to finish my first ISDTRR (muddy as it was) and get a bronze medal.

Reviewing the bike performance with John and my riding goals, he recommended moving up to a 1974 Penton 250, which I recently acquired in good condition off of eBay from Chicago Jerry.  It is currently set up for motocross and I am changing it over to a trail bike for the ISDTRR adding lights, speedometer and other items to restore it to original.  If anyone has any photos of a 74 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler I would greatly appreciate emailing them to me. I will be posting periodically as I am sure I will need your input and help.

I am looking at replacing the Bing with Lectron and that in combination with the supertrap already installed should smooth the bike out for trail riding.

I have a really nice red MX tank but need more fuel capacity and am in need of a red watermelon tank in good condition to trade or buy one that can be repaired.

Attending Mid Ohio VMD in 2006 was great and I had an opportunity to tour Pentonville and meet Al Beuner and hope to make the pilgrimage again in 2007.

Thank you in advance for your patience and sharing of knowledge as I ask questions during my work on the Hare Scrambler.  Glad to be part of POG!

Larry Volenec
Ormond Beach, FL
[email protected]

Big Mac

Larry, welcome to Penton world. You won't be disappointed! Lots of '74 250 pics in any of the links as well as Penton-day photos on homepage.

Keep in mind that if you switch to a Lectron carb, and go through an eagle-eye tech before the next ISDTR, they'll make you run in the Historic ('75-'77) class instead of Sportsman ('70-'74 basically), since Lecton's 'taint legal in AHRMA Sportsman.

Have fun with your Penton!

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

slvrbrdfxr

Larry,
Welcome to the POG. There are countless great guys here with a wealth of information about Pentons and many other brands as well. I think you'll find them more that willing to answer any questions you have so don't be ashamed to ask. I finished my 74 250 HS last spring and had it on display at Mid Ohio last summer. I'll be glad to send you some pics of the bike and help in any way I can so just let me know. Once again welcome to the group !!
Dave McCullough

LarryVolenec

Jon,

Thanks for the reminder about the Lectron pushing me into the Historic class. My plan is to lay the shocks down and run in the later class since my participation in the ISDTRR is to finish, have fun, and enjoy the camaraderie.

Thanks for the post!

Larry

Steve Minor

Larry....You might be interested in this Ebay item. It's Cycle Mag featuring the 1974 250 Hare Scrambler.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CYCLE-4-74-PENTON-250-HONDA-CB-450-SUZUKI-GT380-SEBRING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35604QQihZ020QQitemZ300072290845QQrdZ1

Welcome aboard

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

crash carden

Hello Larry and welcome to POG! I sent you an email on a tank trade.
                  :D Thanks Crash Carden.