Mulhollond shocks

Started by fosterboy, January 19, 2007, 08:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fosterboy

HI folks I have a few sets of old Mulhollond shocks one set the chrome is nice on the shafts the second set one of the shafts would need to be rechromed. My question is were these shocks any good and would it be worth it to rebuild them to ride on (100 and 125 Penton projects). And who could I send them to for rebuilding? Thanks for any info! Ed

69 Penton 125         75 Honda MR175        76 Hercules gs175      72-73 Penton prjcts
72 Monark - project    
76 Hercules 175 - project
possible Penton-Hiro project

firstturn

Ed,
  You didn't state if you were going to race the bikes or just trail ride them.  The shocks were good for their period (early 70's), but there are a lot of other shocks that are out there that give a better ride for racing or trail riding.  There are some companies that specialize in rechroming shocks and forks.  I haven't used any in the last couple of years so there really anyone that I would recommend.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

fosterboy

Hi Ron the shocks will be used for trail rides. I have these shocks and my thinking is instead of putting down a bunch of money for new ones if I had these rebuilt I could ride on them till I got the funds for something better. All I would be out is the rebuild money on these shocks but if they are junk then I wouldn't have them rebuilt. I think I seen a post not to long ago someone named Rocket rebuilds these shocks? Thanks Ed

69 Penton 125         75 Honda MR175        76 Hercules gs175      72-73 Penton prjcts
72 Monark - project    
76 Hercules 175 - project
possible Penton-Hiro project

firstturn

Ed,
  Rocket (Rod Gorzny) does excellent work, but I am not sure if he does Mulholland shocks.  Just email him and he will let you know.  
Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

slvrbrdfxr

Ed,
I rebuilt a pair of the Boge/Mulholland shocks about a year ago and now have them on my 250 HS. My 250 is just an occasional trail rider and the shocks seem to work just fine for that purpose. I was able buy some seals and 0-rings locally and used 5wt fork oil to refill them. I also used some automotive shock mount bushings as replacement shaft bumpers. The biggest problem I encountered was with the plastic cage that is used to keep the springs from rubbing the shock bodies. Mine were very brittle and falling apart so I cut away most of the old plastic and used some very large heatshrink tubing to take the place of what I removed. Depending on how fast you would need them rebuilt I might be able to help you out. Send me an email and we can talk about it.
Dave McCullough

thrownchain

There's a couple of sets of shocks on E play, in the penton section.