KTM 360 EXC Q+A

Started by Rain Man, January 20, 2007, 05:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain Man

I know this isen't Penton related, but I also know theres a lot of good ole KTM techs amongst this group.
 I have 3 new cylinder base gaskets for my 96 KTM 360.  one .2mm  .5mm and .7mm
 I made the mistake and cleaned up after myself and the old base gaskets gone :(
  Anybody have any ideas on which one to use ??
 Thanks

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

thrownchain

Seems to me the thicker the base gasket the lower your compression ratio will be, [ thicker gasket raises the cyl. up.] Of course that would also effect your piston to head clearence. Personally I'd go with the .5mm, but alot would depend on how you're going to ride it.
If you want the high compression, go with the thin one. Just cow trailing, go with either of the two thicker ones. It's really your choice, unless someone has a different view.[8D]

Rocket

Raymond
The different size gaskets are for setting the "deck" height of the cylindar.  You have to bolt the cylindar on without the head, use the .7mm gasket to start with, turn the crank to top dead center and measure the distance from the top of the cylindar to the top of the piston.  You adjust the height of the cylindar by changing to different thicknesses of the gaskets or combination of gaskets.  This affects port timing and compression.  Go to //www.ktmtalk.com and post under "2-strokes", I am sure somebody can give you the measurement you need.
Rocket

Rain Man

Thanks guys,  Rocket,  I can't post on the Katoom website, cause of the E mail scenario :( Unfortunately.
  Anyone happen to know the deck height.  I know its a critical  dimension.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Rain Man

Ah Ha, I got it.  While searching through the technical manual again, this time with my HUGE magnifying glass, There it was. The dimension was listed as "dimension x". From the top of piston to the top of cylinder is 0 +/- .1mm.
  Thanks again

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons