Beware shill bidding on eBay

Started by Cowhouse, January 28, 2007, 07:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowhouse

Just a little ditty on a topic most of you are probably already well aware of, but interesting nevertheless. There's a recent news article on the UK's Times online website about bid fixing by unscrupulous eBay sellers. Yes, I know,  E-Gads! Can it be true???[:0][xx(]

Anyway, it's an interesting read and always fun when some industrious reporter catches one of these dirtbag sellers admitting the underhanded deeds on audiotape! There are a couple audios you can click on and listen to on the website as well.

The web address to view this article is:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2570050,00.html

Or, just go to timesonline.co.uk/global/ and click on the "eBay scam revealed" link on the main page.

Thought it might be of some interest since eBay is one source for parts, bikes, etc, for so many Poggers and vintage motorcycle nuts like myself.

Cowhouse
79 Husky
a penton/ktm someday:D

firstturn

Ebay doesn't have any exclusine on this??[:0]  Just go to an auto auction.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

cubfan1968

I'm very sure this happened at work in a reverse bid we were competing in for a rather large contract. We kept the business at a discounted price even though we were not low bid. The low bidder was never identified.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

OUCWBOY

Ted,
I have seen the items listed on Ebay and listed in other places as well. I'm not saying this is the "right" thing to do, but some sellers state in their listing that it is for sale locally as well.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

thrownchain

Isn't some british money called "shillings" ?

farmer58za

Hey guys
I reckon any auctioneer, worth his salt, will have a few mates in the crowd. I'm not saying this is ok but it happens. Obviously, in a public auction, wide awake regular bidders will see the pattern over a period of time and the auctioneer will lose custom. With Ebay it's all hidden, therefore the bidder must set his high price, go possibly 10% over if he wants the item real bad. If the bidding goes over that - let it go

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David