Splitting Jackpiner cases

Started by John E, February 02, 2007, 10:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John E

WARNING: This post may be hazardous to your time management.
My Jackpiner, bought in the dim haze of 1975, had an unfortunate incident on a dry lake in Arizona in 1978. I somehow fell and it landed on the throttle side, stuck wide open. Though I attempted to reach it in time, the silence following the awful sound of breaking engine internals gave me time to think about all the racing that bike had done without any serious problems.
Of course I fully utilized the opportunity to convince my wife I needed a new GS6 400, it goes without saying.
Jump to 2006, with visions of RR ISDT in my head. I purchased new mains and installed them, then, Homer Simpson-like, I realized I had left out two essential washers from the shift and main shafts.
I can't get the cases apart as I did years ago so I got a splitter from Gary. That almost worked except that one of the bosses pulled out.
That is when I realized I had not been given the proper bearings that split. Now, you ask, why did he not notice that earlier? Remember the fog  of the seventies, so long ago. That is the last time I had it apart and I simply forgot.
Anyway, can I get an idea on how to get these things apart again? I would really like to allow my son the experience of riding it. He needs to be converted from those nasty four-strokes!
Thanks in advance!

John

Rain Man

Your gonna have to drive the outer race out along with the crank bearings right ??  If you take your mag side  seal cover off, the outer race is right there.  Try to be patient with  this,  Those cranks don't like to be pressed or hammered on, in many certain ways.
  I've used the crank pushing tool Gary makes on my JP engines, and it came apart pretty good.  That sprocket side has an outer bearing on it thats pressed into the case and onto the crankshaft too.
  You may have to drive it out with a soft punch, The spacer  in front of it is aluminum.
 Hope I didn't confuse your situation any more.
 Good luck...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

G Ellis

John give me a call and I will try to help you. 217 260 0237  Later Gary