Mr. February Dan Pagel you're next

Started by cubfan1968, February 03, 2007, 09:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubfan1968

Dan what can you tell be about that all season mount featured on the calendar page.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

wildman

As I had blown up my previous ice mount, a RM125, I needed another bike to use. A co-worker told me he had an old Penton 250 and he sold it to me for $40. I lowered the suspension, put extended plastic fenders to protect anyone I ran over and cut the stock pipe up and made it into a down pipe. I rode that bike on the ice for several years on the ice and had a lot of fun. I never got the knack of throwing it into the turns like the flat track guys did but I could wheelie down the straights. The bike never gave me any problems.
After a few years of warm winters and no ice, I noticed the vintage scene revival and decided to restore my old Penton. I painted the frame, redid the suspension and re-recut the pipe and put it all back to stock. I took it to some vintage bike shows and won several nice trophys with it.
I started riding it on the local trails,and a friends practice track and decided to try some AHRMA MX. I had been a trail rider for 30+ years and only ridden a couple hare scrambles. I made my race debut at Portland, MI in 2005 and had a blast. In 2006 I rode most of the AHRMA Great Lakes series plus Mid-Ohio and am proud to have won 1st place overall in Sportsman 250 Novice and 14th Nationwide.
All this from a $40 start. I've met lots of Penton people, joined POG and met Mr. Penton. I was thrilled to picked for February, Thanks Randy!
BTW, notice the secret hand signal on the winter picture;) Dan Pagel

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125