New Member Intro - Ernie P.

Started by Ernie Phillips, February 14, 2007, 11:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

New to the group. My name is Ernie Phillips.  I am a Mechanical Engineer and I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee.  My interest in Pentons go way back to 1971 when my dad bought me my first new bike, my first serious dirt bike... a 1971 Penton Six-Day.  I'll never forget that bike.  I'd like to get that bike back -- (sold in Pensacola FL area 1972?)  From that Penton, I transitioned from Enduros to MX and raced Hodakas and Maicos out of J&R Cycle Specialties in Pensaccola.  By 1978 my serious dirt competion was over -- school, job, family ... responsibility.  Up until resently, my interest has been in big dual sport bikes.

Fast forward - I resently purchased 1971 & 1973 Six Day that run and a fixer-up 1974 Berkshire.  My 16 year old son, Christopher, and I plan to ride some vintage events once we get the bikes race-ready.  I will be asking lots of questions.  Thanks for letting me be a member of the group.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

farmer58za

Hi Ernie
Welcome. Nice bunch of guys here. Look forward to hearing of your exploits with the bikes.

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

wade195

Welcome Ernie

You will find alot of wonerful folks here. Nice to find someone else from Tn here. I am in Lavergne Tn.

Doug Wade

rcrump1

Ernie;
Welcome. I am from Mobile and raced in the region in the early to mid-70's also. We probably ran across each other back then. You didn't by chance have a nickname back then did you? Seems I remember a guy named Ernie Phillips who went by the nickname "Fudd". Have fun with your Pentons.
Richard

Ernie Phillips

Richard,

Yes, I raced at Wild Acres MX and rode some of Sam Hutcheson's enduros in the Mobile area.  "Fudd" (aka Wendell Phillips) is my brother.  Hope to see you at some events.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

thrownchain

I almost don't want to ask how he got the nickname "Fudd"?
Is that the sound you make when you fall in the sand?

Ernie Phillips

He had his share of crashes but he got the nickname "Fudd" from the fact that he has a big head.  Think of the cartoon character Elmer Fudd - the guy with the big head.  My brother Fudd - he has a big head and as a small child my uncle thought he looked like Elmer Fudd.  The name stuck.  Fudd is the one who bought a worn out DKW 125 and got us started into this dirt bike stuff.  He couldn't keep his  Deek's together - lots of DNF.  Finally built him a XL-175 that he could not tear up.  In fact, he got a Bronze metal at the Perry Mountain 2-day in 1978 on that bike.  That same bike is being restored, so maybe you can meet Fudd and his rig at some event in the near future.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

rcrump1

Ernie;
After I posted I got to thinking that Ernie was not right for Fudd and I finally came up with Wendell. Yes, I raced Wild Acres in Mobile, Boneshaker in Milton, Hub City MX in Hattisburg and others. Cut my dirt biking teeth on Sam's enduros in Chunchula. I was trying to remember how I met Fudd. Did he go to the University of South Alabama? I met a bunch of guys that rode in the woods and in a huge dirt pit near there. Saw (and got to ride)my first Penton there. Also saw my first CZ's Sachs and Bultacos there. Quite exotic bikes for a bunch of college kids. I was a couple of years younger so Fudd might not remember me but give him my regards. I still see some of the guys I met there.
Richard