Last Man Standing on Speed Channel

Started by Paul Danik, February 24, 2007, 05:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

The "Last Man Standing" event will be shown on the Speed Channel tonight, Sat. Feb.24, from 9 - 10 PM EST.  That is what the listing says, I have no idea how extensive the coverage will be, but it should be interesting.

Paul

checkcrew

Paul, hi, my son and i were talking about this today, thanks for the heads-up, regards, Mike G.

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ. - 70 + 71, 125 Steel Tankers, 72, 73, 74, 125-6 Day's, 73 Jackpiner, 73 Yellow Tank 250 H/S
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Paul Danik

Last Man Standing, the more I think of that title the more it reminds me of some trail rides of yesteryear.  Every so often this guy named Crazy Jake would entice a few guys to show up at his place on a Sunday morning when there wasn't any races going on in the area, for a little trail ride.  Old Crazy Jake had a trail system that included about everything a guy could dream of, tight woods, power lines, creek crossings and some hills that each had a well deserved name, the worst being " Killer Hill ".

Old Crazy Jake knew these trails like a hound dog knows the area around his coup, he would lead and it was all you could do to try to keep him in sight, about all you might see of him for a good while was a glimpse of his rear fender as he took off after waiting up ahead in the bushes to see if you were still comin.

A "normal" ride with Crazy Jake would cover a lot of ground with only the occasional stop at one of his famous hills for a little entertainment. The usual routine was for Crazy Jake to make a run up the hill and make it look easy, he made riding back down the hill look easy also.  About then is when Crazy Jake would park his bike and watch the mear mortals try to do what he made look easy, kind of like those guys at the carnival that can knock over the plate with a ball and then they charge you a buck to try to do the same, only Crazy Jake didn't charge us, unless you counted a bit of blood, a dented tank or at least some wounded pride.

It gave a guy bragging rights in our area just to finish a trail ride with Crazy Jake. When you arrived back at Crazy Jake's house he would dissapear into his basement and return with a half gallon of home made wine, you had better load up your bike before the wine got passed around.

Some of you already may have figured who Crazy Jake is, yep, Jake Fischer. I'm gonna go now and watch this Last Man Standing show, one thing I can tell you, these guys have nothing on Crazy Jake Fischer.

Paul

Paul Danik

Mike,

Did you get to watch the program?  In the final interview with David Knight at the finish, the guy in the KTM jacket and tossel cap behind him was Jack Penton.

One more item about Crazy Jake Fischer, he rode a good portion of the 1973 ISDT with a separated shoulder, and he still earned a gold medal. There is a picture in the Jan. 1974 issue of Cycle magazine of Rolf Tibblin putting Jake's shoulder back in place at a checkpoint.

Paul

checkcrew

Paul, i didn't realize that was Jack, i am sure it will air again and i will make sure to look, did you see that Chris Smith made the 2nd run on the Christini 2 weel drive bike, unclear how he finished ??, thanks again, Mike G.

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ. - 70 + 71, 125 Steel Tankers, 72, 73, 74, 125-6 Day's, 73 Jackpiner, 73 Yellow Tank 250 H/S
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Steve Minor

I think Jeff Fredette rode the event...the first year....ask him about it at the next ISDT-RR.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

MattyQ

Paul ,

That story about "Crazy Jake" was funny , you ought to right a book ! (or have you ?) You seem to have a lot of memories/stories worth recording.   For those of us new to POG, the Mars reference , did you used to race space ships in your former life ? lol

Matty Q
Atlanta, Ga

Matthew Quinlan

Paul Danik

Matty Q

My little story about "Crazy" Jake Fischer is my way of honoring a man who was a mentor to me, and is well known to a lot of the guys who are from my era that read this message board. Going riding with Jake was like going to basic training, he would push you for your own good so that when you went to a really tough event you had some idea of how to cope with what you had to do.

As far as the Mars item, I live in Mars, PA.  

Paul

MattyQ

Paul,

The story about Mr. Jake Fischer is even better and more special then before.  I am quickly catching up on what a Penton legend you truly are too!  

I sincerely apologize if my reference to Mars offended you in anyway. I thought maybe there was a story behind it coming from the race track. Like your abilities on the track were out of this world. I have many fond memories of ski trips (Peak-n-Peak)taken to the beautiful state of Pennsylvania as a child.

Matty Q

Matthew Quinlan