Ceriani 35mm - bushing needed

Started by Ernie Phillips, March 26, 2007, 10:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

Need internal bushing (#15) as shown on plate 16B (page 30) of  Penton Parts Manual.  P/N 1-209-067.  This is for 1974 Six Day / Berkshire with fiberglass tank.

If I can't find the part ... anyone have a set of forks for sale?

thanks,

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

sixdazed

Ernie,Do you need 32 or 35 mm forks?

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Ernie Phillips

Ric,

I need bushing for 35mm.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

OUCWBOY

Ric,
the later 74's came with 35mm forks

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Gavin Housh

Al B does not have any bushings left. It seems that Teddy L. got the last of his stock. I would try the other folks listed on the suppliers page and if you strike out there try Matt Hilgenberg at Speed and Sport. He may be able to steer you in the right direction. If you find some please share your source, I'm sure others are in need of these rare parts also. Gavin

thrownchain

What about Domi racer or Cosmo??

Jdbglover

Ernie,

I have never used these people, but they advertise rebushing forks.

Here is the company's link, by the way they are in your state, TN.

http://www.bjracing.com/id72.html

John

Ernie Phillips

Thanks to everyone.  I'll let you know if I can find bushings.

Now the rest of the story.  So why do I need this internal bushing?  Because I used a 3/4" steel pipe and a big hammer to remove the stuck bushing.  You see, my forks were "frozen" partially compressed.  How they got this way I don't know.  While they were still on the bike, I managed to get them to move but the travel was only about 4".  I pulled the forks apart, removed the lower snap ring, pulled the valve assembly, but the damper rod (stop valve) would not come out.  I flipped the fork tube over and the stop valve came out.  So did the small snap ring that holds the bushing in place on the stop valve.  Looking through the tube I can see an obstruction which turns out to be the stuck bushing.  I look around my shop in search of a "tool" to remove this obstruction.  I find a a piece of 3/4" steel pipe about 3 feet long and procede to bang away at the stuck bushing.  Dang, that thing is stuck!  I bang away ...  I measure .. I bang.  The bushing is moving.  I bang away some more ... I decide that it may belp to polish the lower portion of the tube where the stuck bushing must pass.  I cut a slot in a 3/4 PVC pipe, insert a strip of 180 emery cloth and polish away.  I bang, I polish, I measure ...  The bushing finally comes out.  All this "sledge hammer" mechanic work damaged the lip on the upper surface of the bushing.  Not a show stopper but I want to replace it if  I can.  The other fork tube has a stuck bushing too, so, with my new found knowledge, I take my 3/4 steel pipe and convert it into a bushing removal tool by grinding the mating end to the exact diameter of the upper end of the stop valve.  Before swinging the first lick, I carefully polish the inside diameter of the tube where the stuck bushing must slide.  With the tube resting on a treated 2x4 wood block, while perfectly vertical, I place my new bushing removal tool inside the fork tube and tap, tap tap - success!  Hope yall's bushings never get stuck, but if they do, I can loan you my special tools.  

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

farmer58za

Ernie
What's that bush made of?
I had my forks apart a while ago but I can't remember if it was bronze or plastic.

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

Ernie Phillips

David,

My bushing appear to be steel - shiny metallic and very hard stuff.  The bike is a '74 Berkshire with Ceriani front end.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN