AHRMA NUMBER PLATE RULES

Started by jay cohen, March 28, 2007, 08:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay cohen

My Six Days has the yellow metal number plates on the sides and I added a plastic yellow one in the front.  I read in the rule book today that they require white plates for mx.  Do they also require white for cross country ?  Are they strict about it ?  Can I get away with using the yellow? I'd rather not change them, and changing the yellow side ones would be a pain in the butt.

socalmx

Join the crowd regarding changing the color of your number plate. At regional AHRMA races, I got away with running yellow. I lost my nerve going to Mid-Ohio and switched out to white. In the early 70's a company advertised a number plate cover (vinyl with elastic) that you could put over your existing plate. Something along that line might work now for you. I think you would have to be a bit creative in the design to get it to fasten securely to the airbox plate but I think it could be done.

John E

I hear you on that!
My Penton, Husky and Monark all had yellow plates.
Fortunately, I had some white overlays left over from my roadracing days. Some annoying time spent cutting them to the proper shape solved that problem.
So you might try some of the roadrace suppliers. They probably still sell those white backgrounds. They were about 14 X 12, I think.

John

Jay,  Get yourself 3 paper plates and a marker, put on your # then use masking tape to hold them on, after the race just ditch. If you stay out front you can use them over. Good Luck,  ol Dave

AndyL

Jay,
An other option is to get some sticky back white shelf paper and just cut it to size.

You can use a new set of numbers or just use a good permanent black marker.

The shelf paper works very well, is plastic so it holds up to rain and mud and will pull off after and not leave much tape residue.

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
1975 Jackpiner
1970 Steeltanker
83 YZ 100 and 250
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Mike Lenz

Vintage Iron and others make the stick on oval # plate backgrounds.  I put some over the yellow plates and it looks pretty good.  Looks kind of like a white plate pin striped in yellow. The airbox side on a "74" bike takes some time and cutting and I am using the white plastic side covers.

socalmx

I tried the stick on number plate backgrounds and did not have much luck. By the end of the day, they were being held on by duct tape!

Dwight Rudder

Yes, I have always hated that rule and see no reason for it.  I run yellow plates in Cross Country and have special 4" numbers on a white background oval that is just big enough to clear the numbers and put them on my yellow plates for MX. Yes, I run my lights and enduro / ISDT gear even in MX.  Same as a ISDT final special test isn't it ?
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.