Filling Sachs Gearbox with Oil

Started by jay cohen, March 30, 2007, 09:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay cohen

I'm having trouble getting gearbox oil into my 125 Six Days.  I tried putting it in through the slotted screw on the gearbox cover with the bike leaned way over, not good.  There's a big plug on top of the engine back near the swingarm with a screwdriver slot in it but can't get it loose. I feel like I'm making a simple job difficult.

TGTech

Jay,

The best (fastest?) way to put oil in the Sachs engine, is to lay the bike on it's right side, pull off the kickstart lever, shifter, and clutch cover, and pour the oil into the clutch cavity. I know it sounds more complicated than trying to pour it into a hole, but it is pretty fast.

Dane

jay cohen

Thanks Dane, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

cubfan1968

Jay try that plug on the top right hand side of the engine case just above the counter shaft sprocket. Thats the filler plug.

Check your email I'll send the photo

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

t20sl

Hex plug on top of tranny on right side works fine.  Quicker than removing clutch cover, especially if you rip a gasket.  Use a small funnel. DO NOT remove screw driver plug on back of left side of engine by swingarm.  That is the pivot for shifter arm inside.

MattyQ

Can anyone send a picture , need to fill mine soon.
thanks , Q

Matthew Quinlan

jay cohen

I found taking off the cover works best.  Just dump a quart in with the bike lying on its side. Another idea I tried  works ok too.  I bought a real tiny diameter clear tubing.  I disconnected the clutch cable at the handlebars, that enabled me to pull the cable away from the side cover and slip the tubing down into the sidecover alongside of the cable.  Using the narrow opening tube of the gearbox oil bottle, it was slow but another idea.

mxpenton

I had to laugh when I read this post this morning.  Don't take me wrong Jay/Dane.  Reminds me of the guy who clamped a spark plug socket in his vise, removed the head, turned it upside down on the wrench inorder to unscrew the spark plug.  Guess you do what feels comfortable. Rob