Old Penton racer now a Can Am Quad racer

Started by Paul Danik, April 16, 2007, 08:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

I just watched an interesting commercial on the Speed Channel, an old Penton racer was doing a commercial for Can Am quads, he is apparently a sponsored quad racer. I rode against this guy back in the early 70s and he is still at it, only on four wheels.  Anyone want to take a guess who he is?

Paul

chicagojerry

Paul Danik

No, John wasn't the guy in the commercial.

Paul

Paul Danik

Gary,

Yes, Mike is the one.  I was really surprised to see him on TV in the Can Am quad commercial. I last saw Mike at the John Penton GNCC a couple of years ago where he was racing quads and I think he gave an opening prayer, but I don't remember for sure.

I raced against Mike at the Inter Am at Honda Hills in about 1970 that Midstates Internation Moto-Cross Association promoted, Midstates was actually John and Ted Penton if I remember correctly.

I don't know a whole lot about Mike, or even where he is from. I checked out the Can AM website after seeing him on TV and he is listed as part of their race team.  Anyone know more about his Penton racing days?

Paul

Gary Roach

Paul,

Mike is from Rabun Gap, GA. I don't know about his Penton days, but in ATV Utility Quad racing, he's a multi time GNCC and BAJA 1000 champion. He was on the Factory Kawaski Team for a few years before switching over to the Can-Am Team. How many +50 year old riders do you know that are still factory sponsored?

Heck, he even has his own signature exhaust systems!
http://www.hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48
(check out the logo on the muffler)

And even today, he's still able to hold his own against the younger riders. He's already beaten multi time National Champion Scott Summers twice this year.
http://www.racerbanners.com/results/gncc/2007/seriespoints.asp?s=1&c=6

TGTech

Mike works for the Maxxis tire company. I see him every year at Indianapolis.

Dane

TGTech

Mike works for the Maxxis tire company. I see him every year at Indianapolis.

Dane