First Privateer to Win a 125 National

Started by firstturn, April 26, 2007, 06:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

As some of you may know Steve Wise won many races on a 125 Penton back in the early 1970's.  I thought some of you might like to read the history of how he accomplished being the first Privateer to Win a 125 National over Marty Smith and Bob Hanna.  I hope you enjoy the article.

http://www.mxworksbike.com/Steve_Wise_1976.htm

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

sixdazed

Ron,Thanks for sharing the cool story-Steve has a real good memory of those days and tells it like it was!I especially like his answer to a newer rider saying guys from that era would get smoked nowadays-doubtful!As he said (and even in local socal CMC races)you could look up and down the start line and any 10 guys could win on any given day-unlike today when only 1 or 2 have the heart.
                                          Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

firstturn

Ric,
  Interesting that you brought up the subject about any one of a number of people could win in those days.  This subject comes up all the time when I am talking to the Pros of the 70s & 80s.  I visited with Danny LaPort in early April and he actually brought up the subject.  It is like what is going on(?)...even when Hanna ruled there were 4 other guys that could win at a given race.  I personally think it has hurt the sport and I really don't know what can be done to change it.  I hope everyone enjoys the article told first hand by Steve.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

sixdazed

Ron,Interesting you should mention Danny La Porte!He was one of the guys that you knew if he was in your race you were going to have a long day.I went to the start line many times knowing i could do no better than 3rd, or 5th,or sometimes worse unless there was a pileup in the first turn or something.But i have the satisfaction knowing i rode during the best years of mx as far as i'm concerned.
                                                Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

firstturn

Ric,
  It was always interesting to me that most people in a multi-race State or Region series  never knew who won the series, but always knew who won last Sunday.  I, like you, had to go for consistant finishes since there were to many Great Riders (not just good, but GREAT RIDERS) in Texas.  Danny has to be one of the guys that was a Great Spokesperson for the World of Moto X.  He was and is a great rider/racer/person.
  Since this post was started with the item on Steve Wise I have to say that Steve was always quiet and a nice guy, but when the flag fell it was like he was out to win and was so smooth.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh