'72 Six Day engine stays

Started by brian kirby, May 07, 2007, 11:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

I am working on a '72 Six Day and I noticed that the tabs under the tank to the rear of the engine have whats left of broken off engine stays on them. I have looked through the photos here and it looks like most all Jackpiners have the stays but few of the Six Days have them. What years of Six Day had the rear engine stays and are they needed? Also, are the rear stays the same on the Six Day and Jackpiner?

This bike will be a racer, not a restoration, so I dont mind if stays are gone provided they are not necessary.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

littlebigman

So you got the (John Deere )penton I traded for Ernies xr650l ? If it was the one I had, it did not have the stays on it when I bought it. Thanks Gary

brian kirby

Yeah, Ernie has too many Penton projects so I am going to work on that one. I guess those stays are not that important since so few bikes have them.

Brian

Brian

littlebigman

The  History on that bike, it was owned by a rich kid in Ga that only rode it on their land so it was never raced to my knowlege.

brian kirby

I believe that, its still on the stock bore, but it did have a broken ring which is probably why it was put up.

Brian

Brian

John E

I don't know if it relates directly, but I raced my Jackpiner for years with just one of them. We all took one off to facilitate carb access. Never had a problem (I'm aware of, anyway!) because of it.

John