77 GS400 on eBay..Anyone Bidding on it???

Started by maicobuddy, May 20, 2007, 11:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

So, Gary, You'd put your GS6 up against any MX bike?  Well, I'd put you on a Moped and me on my 390 and you'd win!  The bike doesn't mean nearly as much as the rider ;)Thanks for the parts, brother, talk to you soon :)

Mick

Bill Campbell

Can somebody out there please tell me the colour of the forks in the photo of the GS6.I think I want to try and make one up just like that. I presume the triple clamps are the same colour. As an extra has anybody bought the orange DC Plastics side covers for this bike. Are they a reasonable reproduction fit well etc.
Cheers Bill

tofriedel

Bill,

The fork legs appear to be natural in color, no paint,(they may be Marzocchi's), as does the triple clamps.  My 77 GS 250 came with Ceriani's forks, which have black fork legs and unpainted triple trees.  These are completely original from Penton.  

Tony
Tony

454MRW

Bill,
I test fitted three revisions for Don at DC Plastics personally to give him feedback on the GS-6 and MC-5 panels, and the last revision was very close to the originals that I sent him to copy. Plastic panels shrink when removed from the mold, thus the necessity of the revisions to enlarge the molds until the dimensions are correct on the finished product. I am confident that the panels fit correctly, as I fitted the GS-6 panels and the MC-5 panels on my GS-6 and MC-5 frames. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Dennis Jones

A 77 Penton with Marzocchis would have gold colored fork legs with the triples painted silver. I just did a set and used PJ1 KTM gold epoxy and they look very nice. Instead of painting triple trees on my bikes I bead blast and polish them. I just can't make myself paint nice aluminum parts.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mick Milakovic

Hey Dennis, what's the difference between bead blasting and sand blasting?  Can you achieve the same results with sand?  Thanks, Mick.

Mick

thrownchain

Sand is more abrasive, beads work better for the "look" you want.

Dennis Jones

With a blast cabinet you can use different media that is less aggressive than sand on soft metal parts. We bought a pretty nice one from Harbor Frieght for around $200 and we use glass beads in it.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mick Milakovic

I've been doing my frames with play sand from places like Lowe's and Menard's.  Where do I get bead material at, and is it more expensive?

Mick

rob w

Mick,
You don't want to use Play Sand. Lowes also has the stuff you should rather use.
No. 1962, Quikrete Commercial Grade, Medium Sand. (Washed, dried, screened) Silica-like sand. Has a green stripe on the bag.

Are you going to try to make it to Log Road this Monday ?

Bob

Mick Milakovic

Hey Rob, thanks for the info.  No, won't make it to Log Road.  I actually start a 3rd job tomorrow night (in addition to teaching and eBay) and need to make money, not spend it!  Thanks for asking, though, Log Road was one of my first races and you and Greg Troyan were the first POG members I ever met when I went there.  Good luck!

Mick

Rain Man

I have 2gee's into my 1977 400gs 6, and its not brand new (30yo), but its trustworthy on a 60 mile Sunday trail ride!! Any weekend.  Ya gotta love the big bores [}:)]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Bill Campbell

Thanks for the info guys. Orange might be the way to go. Cheers Bill

t20sl

Mick:  Glass bead and many other types of blasting media can be purchased thru Graingers if there is one in your area.  It is more expensive.  For real fine cleaning you can also use baking soda, but it does not remove paint near as quick but leaves a great brite finish on aluminum.  Also totally bio-degradable.

tofriedel

Dennis,

Do you a photo of your 77 GS with the Gold fork legs?  I have never seen that color on a Penton, I would love to see the photo.

Tony
Tony