CMF rattle can frame paint

Started by brian kirby, May 21, 2007, 11:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

I'm painting a '72 Six Day frame and I thought I would share what I discovered for a good rattle can paint color.

My Dad restores concourse quality Ford Mustangs and has a huge collection of paints, cad and zinc copy paints and all kinds of specialty paint stuff. I tried several colors of regular rattle can silver and none were as close as I wanted. I was about to give up and use the one that came the closest to the original frame color when Dad said "hey, lets try Alumablast". Eastwood Alumablast is a paint made to simulate bare cast aluminum like car intake manifolds. I tried some on a test spot where the frame had not been discolored from sun and it was EXACTLY the same color as the stock color. The only way I could tell where the original paint stopped and the Alumablast started was the Alumablast is a matte finish and the stock paint is more glossy.

I think some clear over the top of the Alumablast (which is what I am doing today) to get the correct amount of gloss would produce a perfect reproduction of the original frame paint.

Here is a link to the Alumablast page:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=248&itemType=PRODUCT

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

gooddirt

Thanks for the tip, when I rattle I go with PJ1 KTM 98-2002 silver epoxy with a champagne clear coat . Have not used the eastwood paint but they say its a good match for sachs cases as well ! LG[8D]

MattyQ

I am getting ready to sandblast and paint my frame.  What are the pros and cons of can spray painting it or using an automotive paint sprayer?  

Thanks for your insight!

Q

Matthew Quinlan

rfpotter

Matty,
When I was at that point I used the "search" option and found a lot of information quickly. Personally I went the PJ-1 primer/silver spray can route because of budget, but it turned out great, and matches another frame I have very well.

Patrick Houston
Cosby, Tennessee

PentonRestoration

GoodDirt,

Is the PJ1 KTM 98-2002 silver epoxy with a champagne clear coat, a good approximation of the original 1972 125 frame color?

By the way, this is my first logon and post with the POG.  Looks like a great site.

Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

gooddirt

Quotequote:Originally posted by PentonRestoration

GoodDirt,

Is the PJ1 KTM 98-2002 silver epoxy with a champagne clear coat, a good approximation of the original 1972 125 frame color?

By the way, this is my first logon and post with the POG.  Looks like a great site.

Thanks,
Jerry

gooddirt

Anyone have a can or two of the PJ1 paint ? (Its no longer made )

VICTOR MONZ

Gentlemen/Ladies:

I am doing a "quickie" restoration and had my local auto paint store, Smitty's Auto Paint, Hemet, CA, make up a paint for me....they matched an nos part so close I can't tell any difference.  They make up spray cans in a day or two and are very helpful.

My first parts painted yesterday are very nice.

Not cheap,$15.00 +-/can, but just down the street and very helpful.

I spoke with the PJ Coatings Group in Scottsdale AZ and no more of the 98-2002 KTM Silver is available.

Larry G., you may hold the last can available in the World !  E-Bay !

Works for me.

VM

VICTOR MONZ

I spoke with the "chemist" at PJ-1 Coatings in Scottsdale, AZ today and she stated the 98-2002 KTM Silver didn't make the sales numbers so it was cut.

She scanned her paints and stated a PJ-1 Part # 17-BLRS Silver Barrel is the closest match, is an exposy paint and is available.;)

FYI all pop canners !

VM

Chakka

Nope Victor, I am sure I have the market cornered on PJ1 KTM Silver Grey and PJ1 Silver Barrel paint. For some reason I screwed up an order last year and got a case of each instead of 2 cans. I need the silver barrel paint for engines but haven't been happy with the frame grey color. When I try to spray it the nozzle almost instantly plugs. It's messy and a royal pain to get a few good strokes of color and then have it stop spraying. I can see how many cans I have left if any of you are willing to try it.

Victor, do you think your paint guy would be interested in shipping a few cans east? I'd like to try it.

Chris

john durrill

Chris ,
 We had the same trouble with the PJ's 98 to 2002 paint. I keep an air nozzle close to my paint spot and use compressed air to clear the nozzle. Also keep a mason jar with screw on lid with lacquer thinner in it to drop the nozzles into when we are done painting. This works almost every time . Compressed air blown through the nozzles ALMOST! always works. Shake the snot out of the cans before you use them also. the paint pigment must be heavy and settle out in the bottom of the can. It is a pain but it does work and was a lot cheaper for us than using a spray gun with automotive paint.
John D.

woodchuck

If anyone needs it I have a few cans of the PJ1 Silver for KTM frames. I also have the white primer they recommend you use under it for the correct finish and some of the clear that they sell to top it off.
I bought it for a couple of frames I later decided to powder coat.
I'll have to check but I think I have six cans of silver, three of the white primer and a couple of clear. I'll get a better inventory if someone express interest. It's all only a couple of months old.

Thanks,

Chuck Purinton

Chakka

Thanks for the tips John. It might be worth having the cans shook at my local hardware store and then just keep some compressed air & lacquer at the ready.

Chris

VICTOR MONZ

Chris.

I doubt if "Smitty's" would ship....however I would be more than glad to do it, I think there are certain requirements to ship aerosol cans...not sure.

The only thing is, it is a little pricey, and I would hate to see you dissapointed if it seemed off a little. Some POGERs, not to mention any names, Larry Good, would be microscoping the paint spectrum and analyzing it as compared to the original and make me change the spectrum !   Just kidding Larry....your bikes always do end up "correct" mine get raced till they are all different colors.

I am finishing up a frame this weekend and would send a picture for your review...then decide if it is what you want.

My painting has been a little slow....it has dropped below 70 degrees here and I get a little chill in my shop at night.  

My e-mail is [email protected] if you want some pictures, fire me off an e-mail.

Thanks.

Victor