Clutch drag

Started by [email protected], May 29, 2007, 01:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

I,m starting to get ready for Mid-Ohio and my 74 400 Penton suffers from clutch drag. I put the bike in gear and have to hold it back. What are the proper adjustments on the clutch plates? Once i had the number of turns on the nuts holding the basket and the proper clearance on the plates themselves but I can,t find it anywhere. Also what is the best tranny oil, currently I am using Bel-Ray.
                 Thanks!

chicagojerry

hi jeff. first off. this should probably be under general discussion instead of the wanted/for sale section. but anyway,through much trial and error, i have gotten much better at getting penton clutches to work properly. you need to measure the distance the clutch actuator is from the cases as per the instuction manual. also, that distance is different if you have a newer style actuator which also requires a different rod and the outer plate on the clutch that is pushed out to open the clutch plates. you can go so far as to use a dial indicator to get even opening but you shouldn't have to. i use ATF which is what they recommended back in the day. i also discovered that cable routing is absolutely critical. but i had a problem similar to yours and discovered that most japanese or aftermarket clutch levers and perches do mot pull enough of the inner cable out of the outer sheath. magura levers actually pull more inner cable out, so you may think that your cable is adjusted properly but it still won't disengage the clutch enough. so the lever and perch are the first place that i would look. i hope that helps..:)  if you like, call my cellphone (440 213 5146) and i can give you a couple of other hints too. chi jer