Wanted 100 or 125 Penton

Started by SouthRider, June 20, 2007, 12:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthRider

Ok guys - I need your help. I am looking for a ridable 100 or 125 Penton to buy.

I have never owned but always wanted one since I was 17 or so (now 52).

I used to race out of Don Burgess shop in Kenner La, and wrenched for him many years. I had a 75 Jackpiner (with lay down shocks), a 78 Hercules 7 speed 175, and then ended up racing Huskies for years after.

But I never got my little Penton, and would still like to have one - any era - Steel Tank, CMF, frame breather - what have you....

Surely somone on this board is willing to part with one at a reasonable price.

With appreciation,

Clark Gristina
985-674-7593
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

rob w

Hi Clark,

There's a pretty nice CMF Berkshire in Georgia, on cycletrader.com for $2500.

Good luck,
Bob W

SouthRider

Thanks Bob - that one appears too rich for my blood. I'm willing to pay a fair price, but the consensus here is that it seems to be pretty high.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

454MRW

I have watched as various website vistors or regular members have turned down complete running bikes needing only a little TLC to have nice reliable bikes for $ 1,200-1,800 or more, only to find great deals in the $ 300-400 range quite often. More often, however, a year or so later after extensive rebuilds or complete restorations, the same story comes full circle with the bike(s) up for sale for $ 2,500-3,000 when a new project is in sight.
Wanting to do it the "hands on way" is very admirable and there is a lot to be said for those who wish to do so, and to rescue a Penton and return it to its former glory.
Just remember that a finished bike for X amount of dollars is usually a lot cheaper than a cheap Project if it can be worked into your budget. I myself ride a 1978 KTM MX-6 250 that was a raceable somewhat freshly rebuilt bike as advertised that I drove from Illinois to Savannah GA. to pick up for $ 1,200. It still took complete chassis dissasembly, tires, paint, decals, bars, cables, brakes, wheel bearings, chain and a new front sprocket, and a lot of my time to make it even Enduro race ready.
I guess the moral of the story is that you get what you pay for, and I also have several project bikes in the works that will probably each be well over the $ 2,500 mark before they are nice enough to suit even me, but a few will be far less expensive, because I got good deals.
Don't let the price be the sole determining factor, when the quality of the bike its self and the pride and care of the previous owner will far outweigh the purchase price. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

mr2fox

I have a 1972 125 6-day that I am the original owner of. The bike has not been run since 1975 but has been stored inside since then. It was run in enduros in southern Ohio and is set up as such. The rear wheel is rusty and will need to be replaced. Everything is there- small headlight-good spark-motor is free. I have the petcock rebuild kit from Al. I will deliver to Mid-Ohio. I am looking for $1000.00 but will talk. I am located in Dayton, Ohio. email for pictures.

[email protected]

wade195

Well said Mr Winter.

I bought a 1974 Sixdays last fall for what I thought was a good deal. I now have aproxx 2,500 dollars in it and still need to spend another 300 dollars to finish it. I have done all the work myself. It will be a nice rider when I finish it next month or so. I now wish I would have listened to you all and bought a nice rider already done. Very good advice. My next purchase will be something someone has already been through. But that is just my view. God bless to you all.

Doug Wade
Lavergne Tn

paul

Hey yall, I Bought my 520 KTM from Brad, the man that has the Berkshire 100 for sale in Atlanta.  He deals in A1 absolute nice bikes and will not deal on the price. You will get a nice bike from him. 2500 is not bad for a decent scoot. My opinion but I will vouch for Brads Bikes.TTP

t20sl

Clark:  I saw Gary's 1972 when I was over there a couple of years ago.  It is worth the $1000 he is asking. Could probably be run with just some simple freshing up.  One owner is always worth extra $ in my opinion. Ted

Rain Man

Anyone wanna buy a mongrol?

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons