Swingarm bushings 250 Hare Scramble

Started by chuck, June 23, 2007, 12:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck

Having mastered swingarm bushing removal on my 125 Six Day I set off on what I thought would be a piece of cake to change the swingarm bushings on my new (old) 74 250 Hare Scrambles.

Knowing that the 250 uses needle bearings, I foolishly thought they would literally just fall out. Wrong! I've tried using a punch from the opposite side, but no luck.

What's the trick?

Thanks,

Chuck,

72 125 Six Days
74 250 Hare Scrambles
74 250 Maico
73 250 Honda Elsinore
72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel

john durrill

Chuck,
 If the needle bearings are rusted in its hard. We used a press and 2 thick hardened washers. Turn the OD of the washers down in a drill with the washers mounted on a bolt, nuts clamping them in place. They should be just smaller than the tube in the swing arm that lies between the two HK2030 bearings)   Clamp the drill in a vise lightly so you don't crush it. Use a file to do the cutting.
Then grind flats on the 2 washers 180 deg's apart so you can turn them sideways to slide them in the swing arm.
 We used a piece of thread all and a nut to push the cage out  from the opposite side.
 If they are not rusted in you may be able to use just the thread all  a deep well socket and some nuts to pull the bearings out with the washers described above. We used thread all to install the new ones with no trouble.( cool the bearings down in the freezer befor you press them in)
 If the cage breaks apart like ours did when removed, then use a dremel and a stone or carbide cutter to thin the shell wall left. Its too hard to file . We did 2 light slot cuts 180 out from each other almost all the way through the shell. Use a small precision screw driver ( metal handles like used on electronics equipment) and hammer to collapse the shell inward. Once its away from the swing arm some a punch or small chisel will help. We were able to get both shells out  that way. If you nick the bore where the bearing shell presses in the swing arm, clean those spots off with a scraper or a small burr in the dremel.
 Hope this will help you.
John D.

Big Mac

Search "swingarm bearings" in all text. Lots posted on methods to try.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR