Penton Wheel Shop?

Started by wfopete, July 07, 2007, 08:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfopete

I'm looking for a shop that can supply a new aluminum rim and lace my "straight" rear hub up.  I called Bucannan (SP), and they said they didn't know about a Penton wheels but if I could send them some spokes they could probably do the job.  Not exactly brimming with confidence. Is there a shop that knows PENTON wheels out there that can do the job?

Pete Petrick
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Lew Mayer

I'm sure Buchanan has done Penton wheels. There are a lot of guys out there with Buchanan spokes. Not me but others have. I'm sure they'll chime in here.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

john durrill

Pete,
 We had no trouble getting spokes from Bucannans for 2 wheels one square hub one conical. You could try Matt at Speed and Sport. He sells rims spokes and a bunch of parts for vintage bikes. He may do a complete wheel for you or will know someone that will do the job right.
http://speedandsport.com/
John D.

Ron

Pete,
Thats very strange? They did my Penton wheels not more than a couple months ago. I'll go verify that for you, they're only about a 1/2 mile from where I live. I'm going to need my Sachs wheels done too!
RonW

wfopete

I don't know. Maybe I talked to the wrong person over at Bucannans.  The person I talked to didn't even know that a Penton was a M/C!  Then they asked someone else in the office and that's when I got the "send us the some spokes, to figure it out" comment.  Is there a name at Bucannan's that is trusted?

Pete Petrick
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

thrownchain

If "Angel" is still there, he's the guy to talk to.

hrbay

Sounds like it was lunch time and the brain trust was out. When I was at Works Performance the shop emptied into the pub next door except for Gils dad. Gotta love Cali kulture.

GC
GC

Ron

Pete,
I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to get to Buchanans yet, but as I recall the girls have a book they use to recognize the hub, not the bike
I over get there tomorrow or I'll send my son.
RonW

Ron

Hi Pete,
I went to Buchanan's this morning and they seemed genuinely surprised someone there didn't recognize Penton's.
If you call again, ask for Leah or Angel. Leah was very helpful, but Angel knows what's up. She quoted (don't hold me to it LOL) $83.88 per set of 36 for S/S spokes and nipples or $72.00 per set for S/S spokes and nickel plated steel nipples. Labor to lace and true is $97.00 per wheel.
They also stock aluminum rims, shouldered and non-shouldered at about $185.00 each.
They took about a week to turn mine around and did a super job. My rims were old aluminum ones I had with a little flat spot and must have been out of round. They came back perfect.
Hope this helps.
RonW

wfopete

Thanks for all your efforts Ron. Nothing like having a man on the scene to get the real information.

Pete Petrick
Slow but Good

'01 KTM EXC 520, '74 YZ 250, '86 Honda XR 250, '71 Hodaka 100, '74 SUZUKI TM 400, '73 Penton Jackpiner
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Ron

Glad to help Pete, it's nice to be able to give something back.
RonW