"free at last....free at last......"

Started by Steve Minor, October 27, 2001, 01:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

To all the POG guys that have been so much help... Finally got the stuck piston free from the cylinder on my 77 400GS6 project. Went to the hardware store and bought a steel 1 1/4"x12" nipple and 2 1 1/4" galv caps....screwed them all together...shot the piston with PB Blaster all over top and through both ports...let is soak in...held the entire motor up by the clyinder, allowing it to hang....gave the pipe and a hammer to my sweet wife and had her beat the ever loving &^(%$#^!@$ out of the top of the piston and it finally broke free. I've discovered that, because it sat outside so long, the crank is rusty, coroded and stuck...Is it worth a rebuild???? How much $ are we talking about????

Thanks to all!!!

Edited by - steve minor on 10/27/2001  1:53:58 PM

Edited by - steve minor on 10/27/2001  2:01:42 PM
Steve Minor

DKWRACER

Steve, congrats on finally freeing your motor...in an earlier motor rebuild project I came across a good article about "found" treasures by Bobby Lucas in Texas...in this article he went on to comment about the lost potentials of many a motor dissembled only to find a heap of badly pitted magnesium with water damage......In an effort to build a dream, do not give up!!! you will be dissappointed, I have had to wait a good long time to own what I have...Luckily I kept at it, and I suggest you do the same!!!

Tom Brosius
#69R

Thomas Brosius

Kip Kern

Plan on spending $750-$1,000 on the entire motor and you will be close.  If you do all of the work, you will save the labor cost.

Don Roth

Steve..
Good deal on the break-free, as someone
much wiser that I said, "Don't force it,
get a bigger hammer!"