Torque for 35mm Ceriani Allen Head Screw - Bot Leg

Started by LarryVolenec, August 25, 2007, 08:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryVolenec

Continuing to work through my 250 Hare Scrambler replacing the front fork seals in preparation for the ISDTRR.  I looked through the shop manual and could not find a torque spec for the allen head screw at the bottom of the fork leg.  Just want to make sure I don't crank down on it too much while assembling, but still want to put it on tight enough so it does not start coming loose!

Thanks for your help and patience with my questions as I continue my preparations!

Larry Volenec
Daytona Beach, FL

TGTech

Larry,

The torque of any bold/screw, is usually related to the grade of the material. Most metric fasteners have the grade number stamped on it somewhere. My recollection about the fasteners on the Pentons, were that they usually were Grade 8.8, and if you're referring to an 8 mm socket head screw, normally, the torque for those fasteners is 18 ft.lbs. If the screw is a Grade 12.9, I believe that the torque of that one, is 22 ft.lbs. There may be an exception to the rule, and it would be the copper washer under the head, but I don't know the rules for that.

Dane

t20sl

Honda's torque on identical socket head bolt on bottom of fork 8mm x 1.25mm pitch with copper washer is 14ft lbs.  They also use Loctite on the thread as these are 2 bolts that will ruin your day if they come loose! Ted

LarryVolenec

Dane and Ted,

I appreciate your feedback.  Makes sense about torque based on the grade of the material and the size of the fastener.  Interesting about the Honda fork torque.

Thanks again.

Larry