Berkshire steel tank model

Started by mau10, September 02, 2007, 04:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mau10

Can you tell me about the Penton 125 Berkshire bikes with the red gas tank (made of steel), please?[?]
When this bike was produced?[?]
What the different things from the 125 six days steel tank model?[?]
Thanks
Maurizio from Italy

Penton six days 125 1970
Maurizio from Italy

linglewn

The Berkshire has a 100 cc Sachs engine. Everything else is similar to the 125 cc Six Day. They were produced in '68 with a cast iron cylinder which was changed to an aluminum alloy cylinder in late '69. You can get more details from the Production Year heading on the home page of this web site. If you have a good steel tank Berkshire, hold onto it. Good luck with your search.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Paul Danik

Maurizio,

To expand on what Nelson has already mentioned, the answer to your question will vary depending on how early your machine is. The early Berkshires had the following components in red, instead of the green that was used on the 125cc machines. Headlight shell, gas tank, early style short airbox used just before the Husky style came about, top and bottom sections of the rear shocks, and the gas tank used a Berkshire decal.

Obviously the entire top end of the engine was different, and the engine ID tag on top of the ignition cover would indicate that the engine is 97cc. It is possible that the 100cc machines came with a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket, but someone else will have to verify that, I just remember hearing that mentioned and the parts book doesn't state which sprocket was stock.  

On the later Steel Tank Berkies, besides the top end and engine ID tag, the red gas tank and Berkshire decal would be the only difference, and possibly the countershaft sprocket being 13 teeth instead of 14 as on the 125cc machines.

Hope this helps, if anyone has more to add or a correction to make to what I have stated feel free to do so.

Paul

mau10

Maurizio from Italy