77 Pentons ?

Started by rich allison, September 26, 2007, 08:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich allison

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but was there 77 KTM's imported along with the Pentons. Any idea what the last serial #'s were that were sold? Just wondering. Thanks Rich

Rich
Millersburg,Ohio
Rich

rob w

Hi Rich,

See posting "77 KTM identification". Since 7-1-75 , Pentons in the east, and KTM's in the west.

Here, in the Production year guide, there are '77 MC5 frame numbers into the 7200's, and GS6 frame numbers into the 7500's.

Bob W

TGTech

Rich,

When Penton Imports closed up the west coast version of the company, Ted Lapadakis began to import KTM's for the western states. I don't remember exactly when that happened, but I'm sure somebody will be able to tell us when that occured.

Officially, the Penton era ended at the end of '77. In '78, KTM was opened up in Lorain.

Dane

rob w

If you've found a MC5-ish frame, and are not certain if it's of the Penton or KTM brand. Or if it's a '77 or '78, because visually they look quite similar (But are'nt). I've always followed this rule.
. 1977 Penton/KTM MC5 frames start with the prefix 550.
. 1978 KTM MC5 frames start with the prefix 855.

BobW

tlanders

Rider survey - which one handles better the 1977 or 1978?

Teddy

DKWRACER

Teddy, Rider Survey? 78 vs 77 How does one compare the two?
Each are equal in their own respect.
Do you have a favorite? Why did it happen?
Perhaps the relationship between a man and his Penton, the difference occurs?..the "Podium"?

Are "some" better than others?

Each, has a success story, this is true........

It is part of the Heritage of owning a Penton.

I don't think a survey, could ever explain it.

Tom Brosius ;)
Thomas Brosius

paul

All I know is I cant wait to ride my 78 (I think) cause I have been tuning on it for weeks and still have not taken it out. I was kind of waiting to put a new tire on it then bring her out...we'll see. I ended up putting a K & N on the lectron cause the box was gone.. That was the worste of it and starts in 1 kick. gotta love that!!! TTPaul

Big Mac

Ted, among the old guys revisiting racetracks, I suspect you've got more saddle time with the '77-'80s than most anyone---What do YOU think about difference?

I've done enough laps in the past 3 seasons to get really comfortable on my '77 MC5 400, but it's awfully flexy in the front with 35mm forks, still a bit soft in rear with the Marzokes, and even with fork tubes high in the clamps, steering is slow and I climb out of a line in corners too often. Probably my weak riding skill combined with my girthy figure.

For fun, I'm trying to put together a 495 that will be a YZ465 slayer, combining the best from '81 495 and a '79 420 parts bikes. I'm thinking I might swap on their 38mm forks/clamps to the '77, maybe even fiddle with a swap of the alloy swingarm.  Have you found any tricks, hot setups or suggestions? I know Larry Perkins has provided great suggestions from his experience with late 70s KTMs too. Thanks!

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Mike Lenz

I raced the 76,77 and 78's alot back in the day and also in recient years.  I don't like the rearward foot peg mounting position on the 76's.  The 77 with the duel peg mounts in the forward hole is much better I feel.  The 78 also had about the same peg mount location set up.  I run 38mm Marz on my 77...much better. Just use spacers above the top out springs to limit travel to 9 inches and slide the tubes up a few inches behind the bars so the bike sits the same as the 35mm. The 78 has a little longer swingarm but handling is very similer.  Also the 78 has a more progressive shock angle which in theory should be better for jumps, ect. I have put a 79 alum swing arm on a 78, but it took alot of reworking to the swingarm.  I settled on the 77 to race because...its a Penton!!!

tlanders

I just love the 1977 175 MC5 I built last year. It is so light and fun. It has the dual footpeg frame and I use the higher mounting holes. I used the forks and rear wheel off a 1980 125 KTM and this really helps the weight. It has 35mm forks. My 1978 250 MC5 seat is higher and has the 38mm forks and is a much heavier feeling bike. I personally don't like it as much as the 1977 but I don't know if this is true because I built a "hybrid" 1977 and it isn't typical of a "real" 1977 MC5. I just wanted other people's input. I'm thinking of building a 1977 250 MC5 and can't decide if it is worth it or not.

Teddy

Jack Penton

Here is a '77 Penton story for ya.

I put my last Penton race bike, '77 GS, away back in '77. Much of it was restored but not all assembled. A few years ago I got the the pieces parts back down off the mezanine at KTM and Gary Roach pains takingly found the parts I had lost along the way and restored it. I ride the bike at the Reunion rides.(Thanks again Gary)

Dad was at the AMA for one of the Hall of Fame functions and a good friend of his, Ed Fisher, offered to give him a 250 Penton GS he had purchased at a garage sale. The bike has sat in Dad's pole barn for a year or two now.

I got this brilliant idea of asking my sons to ride the ISDT reunion ride with me this year and both said OK. So now I am going to fix up the "other" 250 in the pole barn. I loaded it up and took it to my house to get started cleaning it up and finding parts.

The first thing I wanted to do was figure out what year it was so I wrote down the frame number: 702 01282

Then I went to my bike to compare numbers to see if the bikes may be the same year. Here is my bike's frame # 702 0183

It has been 40 years since these two bikes came down the production line together in Mattighofen. Quite a coincidence that they sit next to each other in my garage in Amherst now.

Like old friends bikes even seem to find each other after all these years.

Happy trails guys!

Jack

Mick Milakovic

Jack, we all have bikes that for one reason or another, will never sell.  I think the connecton between your sons and the two bikes with consecutive serial numbers is priceless.

Mick

Mick

Jack Penton

I messed up a good story.

The point of the story was that the 2 '77 Pentons I have went down the production line nearly touching each other 30 years ago. Today they sit that close together again.

The vin numbers are consecutive! 1282 and 1283

tlanders

Jack,

It's great to have you chiming in.

Teddy

Paul Danik

We are working on a GS6 for my son-in-law Dave to ride at the ISDTRR.  I thought I may as well check out the serial number on this machine, it seems that Jack's bikes were built just ahead of this one, 702 01294.  Jack's bikes were 702 01282 and 01283. Just goes to show it is really tough to ever get ahead of Jack :)

Paul