1972 Six Day 125 Paint Colors

Started by PentonRestoration, October 09, 2007, 01:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PentonRestoration

Hello, I'm new to the POG and I'm sure my questions have been asked 100 times before.  I've searched the forums and haven't found the info I'm looking for, so here goes.

What is the correct color for the 125 green fiberglass "toaster" style tank?  I've seen a couple tank repaints which I believe really missed the mark so, I'd like to ask you veteran (or newbie) POG experts for your input.  

Also, has anyone found a frame paint which matches both color and has a similar finish gloss?  Was the 72 125cc frame color used on other models?  If so, which model and years?

Also, the fork triple clamps are obviously aluminum but they appear to have been painted or plated.  Does anyone have any details?

By the way, I'm here because I located my first motorcycle.  It's a 1972, 125cc Penton Six Day.  It's the actual bike I rode in 1974, so it MUST be restored.  Of course, it's in very bad condition but, I'm not afraid of a restoration challenge.  

If I'm asking silly newbie questions, please point me where I need to go to get the info.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jerry
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

Ron

Hi Jerry,
Wow, you located the very same bike or the same model?
Are you doing a original factory correct restoration or a rider/racer?
I believe the triple clamps are painted like the frame but they are aluminum and polish up really nice, if you wants some bling!
RonW

brian kirby

My '72 triple clamps appear to be clear coated. The clear has changed to a yellowish brown.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

PentonRestoration

Yes, it's the very same bike I rode over 30 years ago.  I would like to restore the bike as correctly as possible but, I'm not going to go to extremes. But, to be honest, I don't think I'll have to. I may do some limited gentle riding with it.  I have a couple modern dirt bikes for trail riding so, there's no need to burden the Six Day with that.

Thanks for the info on the clamps.  Any info on the tank and frame colors?

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Jerry
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

Ron

Jerry,
Did you get the email I sent yesterday in response to your request for paint info?
Ron

PentonRestoration

Quotequote:Originally posted by Ron

Jerry,
Did you get the email I sent yesterday in response to your request for paint info?
Ron

I just read it.  Thanks for all the great info.  

Thanks again,
Jerry
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X