Helmets

Started by Paul Danik, October 13, 2007, 09:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

OK, we all have opinions on tires, oil, gas , ect.  How about off road helmets.  I am getting ready for the ISDTRR and I think I am ready for a new one.  I do want a full face helmet.  Any thoughts!

Thanks
Paul

brian kirby

I am due for a new helmet myself. Ten years ago I got my first Arai and I wont wear anything else now. I like them because they are REALLY comfortable, but they are also really expensive. Almost every helmet company you can think of, HJC, M2R, Fulmer, KBC, Thor, MSR, all have very good full face helmets in the $150-$200 range. The only thing between them is finding the one that fits your head the best.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

paul

Paul, in the past year I was fortunate to come across two new helmets and I have to say I love the AGV because you can take the pads out for cleaning and for fit, plus it has some vents in different places for air. The Simpson is more of a moto helmet and fits good but my best advise is to put a few on cause everyones head is different and it took awhile trying different brands to find one to fit my odd melon. Let us know what you end up buying. TooTall

Rain Man

I like the shoei helmets the best Paul.  There a tad more money, but to put it in perspective:  If you got a $100 dolla head, buy a $100 dolla helmet.

2c

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

firstturn

Paul,
  Even though the Doctors won't let me ride very much I still try and keep up with the times as far as good gear.  I am now using a Arai XD which is the MX style with a flip up shield....just my $0.02.  Looking forward to seeing you at the Reunion Ride.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

KTM495CH

I'm a big fan of the Arai VX Pro. However, the Arai maybe won't fit your head, you have to try others too. But if Arai is ok for you I would recommend you this e-bay seller:  wilzgarage
I bought a few helmets from him (overseas transaction) without a problem.

KTM 495/81
KTM 495/82, Works bike from Kes Van der Ven
KTM 495/84
KTM 500/85
KTM 495/81
KTM 495/82, Works bike from Kes Van der Ven
KTM 495/84
KTM 500/85

Paul Danik

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information.  I will need to visit POG member Dale Barris at his shop in Amherst on my way to the next POG meeting.

Thanks
Paul

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

OK, we all have opinions on tires, oil, gas , ect.  How about off road helmets.  I am getting ready for the ISDTRR and I think I am ready for a new one.  I do want a full face helmet.  Any thoughts!

Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul, My thought is - you need a blue one, with two white stripes. :D Good luck shopping.
Bob

Dwight Rudder

Paul, although I use a full face for modern bike racing, I still prefer an open face for most riding.  Find you a blue open face with traditional look and add white stripes.  You earned them .
IMO,
Dwight

PS: NEW DOT BLUE OPEN FACE MOTORCYCLE HELMET BIKE ATV  
   Item number: 230179810130   

VICTOR MONZ

I am all for open face helmets on my Vintage Pentons, however, when I ride that mean Husky, it is full face only.

Also, I intend to invest in the most expensive protective boots I can find, so I reduce my probability of breaking any more legs...they just hurt too much and I only have two.

Victor Monz

Any suggestions on boots from you experts?

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by VICTOR MONZ

I am all for open face helmets on my Vintage Pentons, however, when I ride that mean Husky, it is full face only.

Also, I intend to invest in the most expensive protective boots I can find, so I reduce my probability of breaking any more legs...they just hurt too much and I only have two.

Victor Monz

http://www.buymoto.com/Sidi_Joel_Robert_Replica_p/sidijoelrobertrep.htm

http://www.vitalmx.com/product/guide/Boots,26/Sidi-USA/Sidi-Joel-Robert-Boot,299

lksseven

Sidi makes very, very good, very comfortable, very expensive boots.

Larry

Quotequote:Originally posted by VICTOR MONZ

Victor Monz

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

lksseven

Hi Paul,

On the street, Shoei and Arai rule.   On the dirt, all the top tier helmet brands are good - just depends on which one fits your head and your eye the best.

My offroad helmet is Bell (modern) and a Troy Lee Design (very good helmet fit - for my head - and ventilation).
       both have removeable/replaceable padding for washing/replacement.

See you at RR!
Larry

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

Thanks
Paul

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

socalmx

Victor, drive out to San Bernardino to Chaparral (just prior to Thanksgiving weekend when they have everything stocked for the holiday buying frenzy) and spend an afternoon trying on different boots. You will be able to compare fit, form, and function to determine which boot offers the protection that you will need. I personally wear Alpine Stars Tech 6's which have served me well for the past couple of years kicking rocks, etc. in the desert.

motogon

Quotequote:
If you want best protection go with Alpinestars Tech 8 or 10.
http://www.alpinestars.com/Tech_8_Boot/pd/np/112/p/201106.html

Andrew
^^^^^^^^^^^
1976 MC5 175
1978 GS6 400
1986 KLR 250
2006 Husky TE/SM 510
2004 Zuki V-Strom 1000
Andrew
^^^^^^^^^^^
1976 MC5 175
1978 GS6 400