ISDT Reunion Ride Awards

Started by Jeff D, October 29, 2007, 11:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D

The Penton sportcycle was well represented at the ISDT Reunion Ride, not only in numbers of bikes in competition, but also by handily running away with a number of the major awards.
The Bud Ekins "Pioneer" Award was presented to Dane Leimbach, who needs no introduction here.
The Al Eames "Mr. ISDT" Award was presented to Carl Cranke, who likewise needs no introduction.
The John Penton "Silver Vase" Award was presented to Al Born, once again  requiring no introduction on these pages.
And the Ironman Award was presented to "Young Ted" del Solar, again a man who needs no introduction among the POG faithful.
A great weekend any way you look at it!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

brian kirby

It was great fun Jeff, thanks to you and everyone else that worked to put the event on.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

Paul Danik

There is an interesting side note to the awarding of the Bud Ekins award this year. Preston Petty was a past recipient of this award, and while it was in his possession, as it used to be a traveling award, Preston took the time to create a box for the award that fit it like a glove, and was designed to be opened by removing several screws.  Well the box was still unopened when it was time to present the award, and Jeff DeBell asked if anyone had a screwdriver with which to open the box.  

Anyone who is around Dane very long soon sees that he carries a handy dandy tool in his pocket that has many functions, including that of a screwdriver.  So Dane goes up and opens the box for Jeff, all along Jeff is just busting at the seems at the thought of what is going on, when Dane finished with the screws, Jeff told Dane, " you may as well stay up here as you are receiving the award tonight".  No one could have planned a better way to get Dane up front..

By the way, the ISDTRR awards are no longer "traveling awards", the folks who receive the awards are given a plaque to keep, while their names are added to the original awards, which will be on display at the Classic Motorcycle Museum in St. Louis, also known as the Dave Mungenast Museum, for all to see.  The actual awards will be brought to each ISDTRR for all to see, and then returned to the Museum for safe keeping and better viewability.

Paul

rpage11

Congratulations Dane
I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.
Skip

Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

Knute

WOW...Dane, Carl, Al, and Young Ted all received awards.  Great job guys!  

And thank you Jeff and Paul for updating those of us who were unable to attend this year.

Kent
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

slvrbrdfxr

Congratulations to all the award winners at the RR !! Was especially nice to see so many POG member haul home some well deserved hardware !! Great job guys and keep up the good work !!
Dave McCullough

Jeff D

I would be remiss if I did not mention the other award winners.

Chris Carter (Motion Pro, develoment rider for IT Yamaha series, ISDT vet) received the inaugural Dave Mungenast Memorial Award.  In addition to being a big behind-the-scenes supporter of the Reunion Ride, Chris is one of the nicest and humblest guys you'll ever meet, much like Dave M was.

The Leroy Winters Memorial Award was presented to Andre Ming.  Andre has been a friend of the Winters family for a number of years and when he attended the 2nd Reunion down in Cass, Arkansas, it sparked his idea to form an internet vintage enduro enthusiast group... and thus Vinduro was born.  Vinduro and the POG are both strong presences at the Reunion, and many members belong to both groups.

Congratulations to ALL the award winners.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Young Ted

Paul, how about temporarily changing your surname to Harvey? Then you can tell the rest of the story. Was it just coincidence that you and Dane were nearby at the end of the table? As I recall you are experienced at that type of ruse. Isn't there a song with the words – I've learned my lesson well?

Young Ted

Paul Danik

Ted,

I wish I could take credit for that one Ted, but eveyone has their limits :D  However, I am quite proud of the fact that the image of the "Ironman" on your award, just happens to look like "The Man from Mars" [}:)]

Thanks again for taking the POG banner to the grasstrack location, it sure added to the vintage flair of the event.

Take care,
Paul

brian kirby

Paul, I just wanted to say that I got to meet Chad after our Sportsman 200 MX on Sunday. He is a very nice young man, along with Ryan Penton who was with him, and it was a pleasure to meet them both. It was really cool to see all the Father and Son teams at the RR. There was at least one Hodaka, and several Penton mounted Father/Son rows.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

Paul Danik

Brian,

Thanks for the kind words. I was also lucky enough to have my son-in-law Dave along for the ride.  It was Dave's first event and he really loved it, I think he is hooked.  I will have another son-in-law shortly and we are looking for the proper bike for him.

I met a lot of great folks at the event and I hope we all can get together at events in the future, now if I could just figure how to get ahead of Dwight..:D

Paul

DKWRACER

Not Privy, to the results, of the ISDTRR 07....

And yet, there was one, his voices, where not heard, his presence, would echo.

You can "pull a chain"
Just up ahead, is a lamppost.

One side reads "Answer highway"
the other reads "Pentonway"

In the middle, comes "Young Ted"

There is "Gold on a Penton"

One would "be" so lucky, to be one his minute

Congratulations! Young Ted, the table is not square, it is round...

Respectfully,
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

[email protected]

Paul I too must say how impressed I was with your son Chad. He is quite the rider and also quite a well rounded young man. You have done a great job ! You and Chad started the father and son team thing and seeing Jack and his two son's also riding Hodaka Dave and myself also decided to bring our two son's into this great event. Having our son's with us does not get any better as you already know.
See you in Tulsa.
Your Hodaka pal.
Paul

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by Young Ted

Paul, how about temporarily changing your surname to Harvey? Then you can tell the rest of the story. Was it just coincidence that you and Dane were nearby at the end of the table? As I recall you are experienced at that type of ruse. Isn't there a song with the words – I've learned my lesson well?

Young Ted

Hello Young TED.
My congratulations to your reward,but wait until I am your age,
I will then challenge you,..[}:)]:D:D

Helmut"Speedy"Clasen
 Ontario Canada
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy
2 x Sachs MC-GS 250-7A
1 x Hercules 350-7A 77
2 x Hercules 250-7A 76
2 x Hercules 250-7A 77
Zuendapp 125 GS 72-73

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

Brian,

Thanks for the kind words. I was also lucky enough to have my son-in-law Dave along for the ride.  It was Dave's first event and he really loved it, I think he is hooked.  I will have another son-in-law shortly and we are looking for the proper bike for him.

I met a lot of great folks at the event and I hope we all can get together at events in the future, now if I could just figure how to get ahead of Dwight..:D

Paul

Hello Dan.
That is easy.
Just do what I did to Burchard in New Blaine 05,..
Make him run out of fuel in the last 200 meters.:D:D:D

Helmut"Speedy"Clasen
 Ontario Canada
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy
2 x Sachs MC-GS 250-7A
1 x Hercules 350-7A 77
2 x Hercules 250-7A 76
2 x Hercules 250-7A 77
Zuendapp 125 GS 72-73