Removing swingarm bearings - helpful hint

Started by vmx1963, November 10, 2007, 03:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmx1963

I've read several threads here on how to remove the needle bearings when they've started to become one with the swingarm.  I went through the pain of removing the first one from my '74 400 by breaking the bearing ring and then gouging the cage away from the swingarm collar.  After that little effort I wasn't looking forward to removing the second one.

But then I found a produce called Loctite Freeze & Release http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/z1/view.asp?id=50738 at the local hardware shop.  Treating the bearing with this first and then using a washer & bolt puller - the bearing almost fell out.

So next time you face the enjoyable task of removing those pesky things, go get a can of this stuff and save yourself from inventing new swear words :)

VMX1963
//www.vmxktm.net

Lew Mayer

Looks like a cool product. No pun intended.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tofriedel

Has anyone tried this on flywheels and/or countershaft sprockets that do not want to release from their shafts?

Tony
Tony

Rain Man

Or pistons frozen in the bore...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

I am in the process of this job now.Mine are so bad that the swing arm bolt won't even come out.I have a "Brother" from Pickens coming over with a SLEDGE HAMMER!!![:p]

Tony it was Great seeing you again in Ark.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

PentonRestoration

FYI, I literally tried a product, minutes ago, made by another company which claims to do the same thing.  I've used freeze sprays plenty of times before (I work in electronics) but, when I used it, the bolt didn't look cold like I'm used to seeing, even after 30 seconds of spray.  I touched it with my finger and it was just a little cooler than room temperature (not remotely close to being cold enough).  

The product I bought does not work.  I don't know if it's a bad batch or a poorly made product.  It's called CRC Freeze Off with super penetrant.

VMX1963, Thanks for posting this info, I'll look for the product you're using.  

May I ask where you purchased it?

Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

Rain Man

Thomas, if you use a sledge hammer hard enough, will that make the bike slide permanently left ? :D

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tofriedel

I tried to locate this product on Loctite's web site with no luck.  I sent them an email asking where it could be purchased?  It may not be available in the US at the present time.

Any information I acquire about this procuct I will post here.

Tony
Tony

tmc3c

Raymond,I wonder if that could be adjusted to the other side to help a flat tracker?It have to be a short track because the straights would be tricky!!:D

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

vmx1963

I haven't used the CRC product, so I don't know how it compares.  But with the Loctite I sprayed the bearing for about 20 seconds, waited a few minutes and gave it another 20 seconds.  It got so cold there was frost on the outside of the swingarm, and the penetrating lube managed to get inbetween the cage and the swingarm collar.

VMX1963
//www.vmxktm.net

chicagojerry

after seeing this original post, i tried to but this freeze-release product. i contacted a suppier of loctite products and they told me that it was not available in the US. (vmx1963 is in austalia) but the good news is that it is now and i ordered a can that will be in today. i ended up changing swingarm bushings last week. i sure wish that i would have had it to try then.       chi jer

rd400pi

Jerry,
  How big a bolt were you working with?  I wonder if the bearing race/cage is able to be frozen quicker or more effectively because it is relatively thin compared with a thicker material (bolt)?  Just a thought.  Cheers.

Mike H.

BrianTaylor

You should be able to buy this from any Loctite distributor like your local bearing house ... I work for Canadian Bearings in Canada and we sell it ...BT

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by BrianTaylor

You should be able to buy this from any Loctite distributor like your local bearing house ... I work for Canadian Bearings in Canada and we sell it ...BT

Brian Taylor

Thats correct.I am using it too.:)

Helmut"Speedy"Clasen
 Ontario Canada
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy
2 x Sachs MC-GS 250-7A
1 x Hercules 350-7A 77
2 x Hercules 250-7A 76
2 x Hercules 250-7A 77
Zuendapp 125 GS 72-73

tomale

Thanks for the info... I am always looking for things that will make my time in the shop easier...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W