'D' motor jetting specs

Started by Marc Biro, November 16, 2007, 04:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

My stuff runs right while winning, that is what counts. I never was and never will be a "groupie".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

Larry Perkins

Merlin,

We are all a part of the Penton Owners Group.  Sometimes it is good being a part of a group because as Ray Kroc founder of McDonalds once said, "No one of us is as smart as all of us."  Each and every opinion is valuable and that is what makes POG good.  

It is also good to be an individual and to march to the beat of a different drummer.  If there is something that works good for you that is valuable and good.  No one here wants to take that away or devalue it.

We are all winners wether it is multiple National titles or just getting that New restore to run.  Have a better day and know that no one is against you.

Just my opinion but I think I speak what most would say when calm.

Larry P

Steve Minor

Very well said Larry. Personally, I appreciate different opinions on the same topic. It gives me more options to explore.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Dennis Jones

Larry and Merlin, I very much enjoy reading the information you both have to offer. It is very clear you both have a wealth of Penton knowledge. If there were only one way to do things it would be easy and all our bikes would always run perfect. Keep the info coming.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

t20sl

On the subject of jetting has anyone here played with Japanese carbs that are power jet equipped on Pentons?  I remember that when Yamaha came out with power jet Mikuni's the mid to high rpm range became much crisper.  Yamaha used much smaller main jet on same model than bikes without power jet because the power jet worked better at full throttle.  I am sure they are harder to jet correctly initially though.  Ted

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by t20sl

On the subject of jetting has anyone here played with Japanese carbs that are power jet equipped on Pentons?  I remember that when Yamaha came out with power jet Mikuni's the mid to high rpm range became much crisper.  Yamaha used much smaller main jet on same model than bikes without power jet because the power jet worked better at full throttle.  I am sure they are harder to jet correctly initially though.  Ted

Powerjet carbs are illegal in the vintage classes, As are Lectron carbs.
You can only use them in post vintage classes. Besides they were not that much improvement if at all. A well tuned Mikuni VM works extremely well.
Dwight

brian kirby

Mikuni makes a powerjet kit that retrofits to the VM carbs. I have never heard of anyone using one, but I am curious and might get one to try it.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

Mikuni makes a powerjet kit that retrofits to the VM carbs. I have never heard of anyone using one, but I am curious and might get one to try it.

Brian

As I said, Powerjets carbs are illegal for vintage racing.  That is why nobody uses them.  They are not much if any improvement over a well jetted VM carb.
Dwight

brian kirby

You are correct Dwight, I knew flat slides were not legal, but I had forgotten about the powerjet and accelerator pump rule.

Brian

Brian