Sachs rod kits

Started by Marc Biro, November 18, 2007, 08:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Biro

Hey Poggers,

Is there any interest in me having more Sachs rod kits made up? If I can get a commitment for 100 pcs., the cost per kit would be very reasonable. We have run them hard in our motors and have incurred no failures.

Thanks

marc biro

Lew Mayer

I'm sure they'll be needed at some point. The one I got from you has performed well. I'm sure I'll need another in the future. I have a Woodsman motor to find and probably rebuild.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

john durrill

Marc,
I will need one for the A engine. If the ones you have made work in both A and B put us down for 2 kits.
John & Peter D.

Dwight Rudder

Marc Biro

Hi Dwight,

I'm thinking about $45-50 per kit but the Poggers would need to commit to at least 60 kits.

marc

Ernie Phillips

Marc,  Put me down for 2.  Thanks,

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Ron

Hi Marc,
At around $50. I'd take 2 kits.
RonW

PentonRestoration

I'd be interested in a kit for the A engine.  By the way what exactly is in the kit?

Thanks,

Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

Marc Biro

They will come with a rod, lower bearing, 2 copper thrust washers and the lower pin. They will be exactly like the last batch I had made which featured an 'I' style beam.

Thanks guys!

Marc

Kip Kern

Marc  I think there will be quite a demand for the kits.  I am currently having trouble getting correct kits from Euro Rod for the "A" and "B" cranks.  The rods are the same but the lower pin is different, there seems to be a "hold up" getting the pins sorted out.  I would be interested in a few kits for each style myself.  Also, I just ran into a problem with a customers "B" Euro Rod that was manufactured too thick at the base as it would scrape the edge of the cases when rotating.  I would probably take 1/2 doz kits each depending on the price/quality.  Thanks for sticking your neck out and taking the bull by the horns!  Wish we could do the same with KTM clutch plates but my funds are running low from funding plastic/rubber stuff/gasket manufacture.  Take Note, No KTM175/125/250/400 clutch plates are available at this time!

Doug Wilford

Marc;
The kits you made were "A" kits and worked perfect in "A" engines.  But, the base of the rod was to fat to clear the cases of the "B" @ "D" engines plus the rod pin was not long enough. It did work on the "B" crank but it is much more difficult to press together evenly.   I really don't like to complain,as you have done all of us a great service and it is appreciated.   I am hoping your next order could correct these problems.

Bryson Williams

Doug, when you say "Hitting The cases, B and D models" are you refering to a set of stuffed cases, or are you talking about hitting the cases on the bottom.  I'm confused.

I have two rods from the last batch, and intended to use them on another B stuffed case engine, and on a D model regular engine. Thank you in advance.  

Dirk Williams

Doug Wilford

Dirk;
I am refering to the "B' and  "D"  cases near the opening to the cylinder hole.  When Sachs went to the "B" engine they reduced the size of the Crank slabs and made a web to take up the space inside the crank area.  The rod hits the case shoulder on the up stroke rear. With out a piston there is no problem as the rod can move forward. Center the wrist pin hole on the up stroke and you will see what I mean.  I have been using a dye grinder to take about an 1/8" off that shoulder.  It only hits the right case half. I am sure on the "D" cases ( I haven't done a "D" case) you may have to take out more material to clear the case.
Doug

Marc Biro

Doug,

Thanks for explaining how the RH side of case on the B motor needs to be relieved slightly before installing the rod kit. A very simple procedure that anyone can do.

I use the 'shorter' pin included with the kit in all the A and B motors I build, and have experienced ZERO failures. But, for those wishing to install the longer pin in the B motr, it would raise the price of the kit by $10.00.

Doug, I certainly respect your honest input and consider you the best Sachs motor guy out there, so I'm all ears to your replies!

marc

john durrill

Marc ,
 We will still go for 2 kits. If you get both long and short made up , one of each. If all are A kits we will take 2 just the same.
Thanks for the help ,
John & Peter D.