So Where Is Everyone

Started by Chris Brown, November 20, 2000, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brown

This is the deadest forum.....come on you guys. What's going on in YOUR biking scene?

Out here in So-Cal they are posting signs at the Imperial Sand Dunes closing off another 58,000 acres of riding. Right before the big holiday weekend when thousands of families go out for their fall trip to the dunes.

Personally, I don't ride sand dunes, but I worry about the good riding areas we have otherwise, and suppose they too are in danger of being closed. Then there will only be riding on closed courses on private developments. What a sham. And we still don't have a president that can make a difference for us.

Post a reply or start a  new TOPIC!!!

Happy Thanksgiving
Chris Brown  

Edited by - Chris Brown on 11/20/2000  10:59:33 PM

Larry Perkins

Chris,
   Here in the middle U.S. we are seeing some of the same.  One of our long time riding areas in the Missouri Ozarks is going through some not so good changes.  Chadwick is over 100 miles of marked trail and has been a motorcycle riding area since dirtbikes began here in the 60's.  It has seen many rides and enduros.  They are now closing, by felling trees across it, a lot of the tight trail that has been used in Blackjack Enduros.  They are then widening some of the trails to give better ATV access and are building wood bridges across most of the stream crossings.  They have also used buried concrete blocks to decrease erosion on up and down trails.  Ever do a steep up or down and encounter wet concrete.  It is the formula for soil sampling.  I think the ATV has caused a lot of our erosion troubles and it has brought a lot of people to the woods that are basically clueless to trail manners and safety.
   This is a good topic so let's hear from some other areas that have positive or negative off-road things happening.

gooey

HI ! just to the north of you , Larry,, in Iowa,, I have been away from dirtbikes for a long time ,,, mostly because there weren't too many ( percievably) places to ride ( and I was busy raising the kids,, and being a one job family so the wife could be home with em) ... but I am surprised by the number of places we actually have for riding .  I live in the largest city in Iowa,,, and most if not all the places are at least an hour drive ..  

HOWEVER ... there is word that a riding area here is re-opening hopefully nest year,, and just the thought of re-opening in a world where shutting down is altogether to popular a congressman sport ... maybe its a trend for the better

THEN there's this whole AHRMA thing,, and you guys in missouri have a pretty neat sounding program as well as the midwest deal .... maybe if you and I share cliff notes,,, and we each trade with someone else nearby,, and so on,, we will find new places to ride and new people to ride with ... and,, even though it may never be the way it was in the 70's when i was at my dirt bike peak,, we will continue to network and find riding time Im sure,,, and if we could get Iowa in gear to open maybe another area,,, then maybe the snowball effect ( no pun intended) could take over from there ... who knows ???

just my thoughts ... anyone else ??

1973 Jackpiner 175,          my  "real" name is Mark McGrew, my friends call me Gooey,, Please,, call me Gooey!

clint

Here in the Four Corners area  of New Mexico Things seem kinda dead. The landscape in these parts are screaming for some two wheeled action. The presene of a very active oil field provides access to most of the area's great riding spots which is on BLM land, the only restrictions seem to be around archeological sites and the only problem for me is the 125 6 Day takes too much time to repair between rides. We are looking for something a little newer and not quite as finiky to ride on weekends. Gotta go for now. Later.............ds

Larry Perkins

Clint,
   If you want to stick with Penton think about a KTM motored bike.  Out West a 400 or 250 would be the sweetest.  I rode a 400 for almost three seasons in West Texas back in the day and never even put a ring in it.  Old bikes do take more maintenance.  They tend to rattle things loose.  Good luck and ride on.  What is going on riding wise in the South and East?  HELLO OUT THERE!

bkinnon

This forum changed to this new format and seened to stall a bit. Maybe it is due to the time of year. The old forum seemed to have a lull in activity last years also. i live in Maine, so the riding season is pretty much over 'til the snow comes and the snowmobiles come out. As far as a more current ride, I have complemented my small fleet of Pentons with a '97 KTM 200. It is an anniversary edition , commemorating the Jackpiner. It is in blue and badged with Jackpiner emblems. It is a great bike...reminds me of the caliber of bike as my '72 Jackpiner when it was new.

'97 KTM Jackpiner 200LE
'80 KDX 250
'73 Jackpiner 175 (2)
'72 Jackpiner 175 original owner
Downeast Pentons- Central Division