100cc --Who's In?

Started by Ernie Phillips, December 07, 2007, 01:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

Brian, Actually the 250 forks are already illegal being that they were not manufactured until 1976 and have 7.25" of travel.
That is how I understand the rule.
But I could be wrong.  But if I am wrong then why were some of the Hodaka guys upset ?  
Larry,  I don't care for the Modified Super Rat engine. Ususally very pipey with absolutely no low end.  I think the original idea for this class was to try and keep the bikes as close to OE as possible and feasable.
Dwight

brian kirby

Dwight, I dont know why the Hodaka guys think they would have to stop using 250 forks, its not illegal. The idea for the class might have been a "trail bike" class, but AS WRITTEN the only parts prohibited are from 125s, it does not prohibit parts from any other kind of bike. If I build a Yamaha 100 I have every intention of putting a 175 or 250 front end on it until they change the rule to specifically prohibit it.

f) Engine/frame combinations must be as manufactured; no mixing-and-matching of engine and chassis into "specials."

and at the end

Ineligible are:

Any machine or major component manufactured as/for a 125cc motorcycle.
Six-speed gearboxes of any type.
Rickman frames originally manufactured for Zundapp engines.
Monarch frames.

There is no way that a 250 fork on a Hodaka could be protested with the rule as it is now. It is neither mixing/matching engine and chassis nor is it using a part from a 125, which are the only things prohibited. You might not think its in the spirit of the rules, but it would not be in any way illegal as the rule is now. If they want a trail bike class with only parts as OEM then they need to say that.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

Larry Perkins

It is the too much travel that prohibits it as Vintage suspension rules apply.

Larry P

brian kirby

Correct, but they are using them now in Vintage with spacers to limit travel I guess.

Brian

Brian

t20sl

Would changing wheels from 17" and 19" to 18" and 21" on a Honda SL100 be illegal under current rules?  Also what does
AHRMA think about lengthening wheel bases on any bikes? Ted

Dwight Rudder

Since the hubs are the same, I would guess it a legal switch.
Not sure about swingarm.  Personally I will leave mine alone.  Makes for quicker turns.
IMO,
Dwight

brian kirby

Dwight is correct, wheels are free to change, and I dont see any reason why you would not be able to lengthen the swing arm.

Brian

Brian

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

Dwight is correct, wheels are free to change, and I dont see any reason why you would not be able to lengthen the swing arm.

Brian

BUT, you can't use an aluminum swing arm.  Lengthen the stock swingarm.
Dwight

AndyL

If I can find a 100cc cylinder and piston, I AM IN!

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
1970 Steeltanker
83 YZ 100 and 250
82 RM 125
Suz T500 Titan
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Ron

Andy,
There's a Sachs 100cc top-end on Ebay, just came on today.
Good Luck!
RonW

socalmx

The stock swingarm on the SL100 is whimpy and prone to tweaking. The trick in the day was to switch out the entire rear end with one off a Yamaha AT1. Since I raced desert, I did lengthen my swingarm to give the bike a little more stability. Even with a cam, pipe, and carb the SL100 was still the dog in the class.
Quotequote:Originally posted by t20sl

Would changing wheels from 17" and 19" to 18" and 21" on a Honda SL100 be illegal under current rules?  Also what does
AHRMA think about lengthening wheel bases on any bikes? Ted

Tflores

New member here but not new to Pentons!  (Born and raised in Lorain, OH)
I'm just about completed with putting together a basket case 72 Berkshire with a 6B.  I'm certainly hoping for a rule change!

Tom Flores
72 Berksire
76 250 MC5
07 KTM 300XC
Tom Flores
72 Penton Berkshire
77 Penton GS6 250
77 Penton MC5 250
12 KTM 300XCW
76 Honda XR75
73 Honda CB750K3

Ernie Phillips

It's official - 6 speeds allowed!  From AHRMA:

"After receiving feedback from the membership, the AHRMA Vintage Motocross Rules & Eligibility Committee is making a rules revision for the new-for-2008 100cc Motocross class. Effective immediately, six-speed like-design), which were factory-equipped as such. No conversions   to six-speeds are allowed, either with aftermarket or OEM parts, to machines originally produced as four- or five-speeds. The R&E Committe had received numerous proposals for a 100cc class in Vintage motocross over the past few years. It seemed that members were not in agreement as to what kind of machinery they wanted to have in the class, as no two proposals were asking for the same things. Without solid input, and with the benefit of 24 years of hindsight watching other classes with relatively liberal mechanical requirements evolve, the Committee concluded that the five-speed-maximum rule would best serve the long-term health and diversity of this new class. However, the membership has spoken, and AHRMA will instead implement the 100cc Motocross class to include the pre-1975 six-speed bikes.  An additional clarification: Hubs and forks from any 1974-and-earlier production motorcycle can be used in the 100cc Motocross class. This is consistent with every other class in the Vintage motocross program.  Thank you to all who voiced his/her opinion, we look forward to a great '08!"

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Larry Perkins

Whatever.[xx(]  Sounds like the company line.  Good it happened but naive if anyone thinks it really happened that way.

Larry P

Ernie Phillips

When the 100cc class was first announced, this is what I sent to AHRMA:

Quotequote:"Who do I submit my views to on the new 100cc MX Class rules?  Are the rules as published 12-5-07 final or are they still being developed?  What is the deadline for submittal for changes?  My specific interest is that we (my son & I) would like to race our Penton Berkshires with 6 speed gearboxes.  They are presently not allowed.  Also, I have a Monark MX bike and would like to put a 100cc 6B engine in it and race the hot 100 class.  Again, present rules do not allow this.

As a general comment, I think the rules should reflect the bikes that were on the track through 1974.  Make the rules a liberal as possible to encourage a large turn-out.  If one brand dominates in 2008, adjust the rules for 2009.

Thank you for creating the 100cc MX class.  I would like to submit formal rules recommendations.  Please advise how to do this and to whom."

The above was forwarded to the rules folks.   Although they chose to exclude me, I feel others involved in the discussions represented my views.  I never heard anything else until yesterday when the 6-speed was allowed.

I think the way the whole thing was handled was wrong.  It had way too much back-room dealings.  However, the end result is good.  Personally, I am thankful for the large Hodaka lobby that supported the 6-speed.  Without them, the hot 100 class would have been Hodaka Only.

One way to improve AHRMA is to support those with progressive views who also understand the historical significance of the period.  Vote for the Trustee that best represents the way you want AHRMA to function.  For me, transparency is important.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN