175 Piston Question

Started by Chakka, December 27, 2007, 04:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

In the process of my engine rebuild I dropped a piston and a triangular piece approx 3/16" x 45deg broke off the front side lower left corner. Could a radius be ground to smooth the sharp edges and installed or am I risking a catastrophic failure? If so looks like I learned an expensive lesson and will have to call Al B.

Chris

G Ellis

If it was my motor I would buy a new piston. If it was on the intake I would use it. Before buying a new piston,have the bore checked out to see if it is out of spec.  Hope this will help  Later Gary

Chakka

Thanks Gary,

I was afraid of that but my bad so I guess I will have to order a new one. I will follow your advice and check the bore as well before the order is placed. After all the hours spent rebuilding I need to ensure it's reliable. The plan is to put the engine in an MC5 frame and build a replica of Dane's 76 ISDT Bike.

Chris

G Ellis

So do you have a 6 fin motor? If so good luck finding pistons for that motor. If you have some photos of the piston maybe it will be ok to use. I have some pistons, Al has very few of them for a 6 fin motor. You can email me at [email protected]  or call 217 260 0237  Later Gary

DKWRACER

Hi Chris! I do have a +060 short piston, and the swing-arm that you wanted, waits, in the wings.
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

G Ellis

Hey no fair Tom I need a .060 short piston. :D:D Later Gary

Chakka

Gary - I just checked all 3 175 cylinders I have. All are 7 fin engines :( So I guess my plan on the ISDT bike are out. The piston that goes with the top end I want to use is an Elko and stamped 63.75, 1149d. Here is a link to a picture of the damage....on second thought it looks bad and I should get a new piston.

Tom - I busted my piggy bank today so I will be mailing you a postal M/O for the MC5 Swingarm this weekend.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/chakka141/random%20Penton%20Pics/DSCF0004.jpg