Clark plastic mc-5 tanks

Started by Mike Lenz, January 08, 2008, 12:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lenz

Has anyone bought one of these?  How do ypu like it?

Gary Roach

Hi Mike,

I've got one of the Clarke MC-5 tanks. I received a certificate for a free tank from Clarke as an award at a modern race that I ran, and since I already had a big tank on my modern bike, I decided to get one of the MC-5 tanks. I layed it on a MC-5 frame once, and it seemed to fit fine, but I've not actually used it. The quality is very good. The color is not a perfect match compared to a fiberglass tank, but it still looks good. The other tank in the pictures is just for color comparison.

The cap and o'ring are included.

It only has one hole for a petcock, and it's on the right side. Unless they've changed the tank design since I received my tank, their website states; "Uses stock mounts and petcock", but as you can see, the stock petcock won't work. I didn't try it, but it looks like a modern KTM petcock will work.

Clarke sells this adapter, (I'm not sure what thread size it is), that might allow you to use the stock petcock.

Or you can buy one of their vintage-looking petcocks.

Gary  

rd400pi

Gary,
  Great pics and info!

Mike H.
  Tulsa POG

Dennis Jones

Mike thanks for bringing up the topic

Gary thanks for the pictures. I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind. Is your tank the orange color on their color samples and does the tank look like decals will stay on it? That looks like just what i need for my (Johnny Cash 175 MC5)
Thanks again,

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mike OReilly

Great photos.
I bought one of these over 10 years ago - in white. I adapted it to work on a CMF frame (heated the bottom) and adapted a Honda Elsinore petcock. If I recall, the thread on their adapter was SAE, not metric and I couldn't find any petcocks to work on it.
No problems otherwise and it is still hanging in there.
But, no the stickers will not stick very well. Same as any plastic tank.
Mike

Gary Roach

Dennis,

Yes, it is the orange color on their chart.

I agree with Mike OReilly in that decals probably won't stick. Plastic tanks breathe, and the fumes or vapor evaporating through the sides of the tank is what causes the decals to bubble up and fall off. But there's hope. POG member Dick Newman sealed the inside of his '79 KTM plastic tank with a product from Caswell called, "PHENOL NOVOLAC EPOXY GAS TANK SEALER". He said that it works really well. It will work on steel, aluminum, and fiberglass tanks. Here's a link to the sealer on Caswell's website: http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

I tried to fit a modern KTM petcock on the tank tonight. It will work, but you have to do two modifications. The first is, the filter screen that's on the petcock is too big to go up inside the hole in tank, so the hole will need to be drilled out. That should be no problem, as there is plenty of room between the center hole and two mounting holes, and also the tank is really thick in that area. The second thing is, the two mounting holes in the petcock need to be slotted a little bit (approx. 1/16" on each side) to get the bolt holes to line up.

Gary

Dennis Jones

Thanks Gary, The petcock sounds like an easy fix.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mike Lenz

Thanks Gary and Mike.  Does that epoxy sealer stay somewhat flexable, if not Im afraid it would crack on a plastic tank from movement.

Big Mac

Clarke is located here in Oregon and I ran into one of the owners last summer at a ride. I asked if they had plans for or were open to suggestions about other plastic tank offerings for Pentons and vintage KTMs.

He said they were considering it and wanting to guage interest and demand. The 'peanut' small MX tank for the pre-MC5 frames ('72-'75?) are very hard to come by, as are smaller tanks for '79-'81 framed KTMs, and I'd guess they could sell enough to justify production. If they could pre-seal inside somehow so they would hold paint and decals, they'd have real winners.

If others agree and would consider buying one, please shoot them a message encouraging production at  [email protected] or link to http://www.clarkemfg.com/ and call or follow MAIL... It would be nice to set some of those pristine & restored FG tanks on the shelf for muddy race days.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

I've got one and have never used it.. I got it in a trade a few years back.... They do make the right adapter because I had tried one of my Penton petcocks on a husky tank that was at bent bike... I talked with some one at clarke tank and he was unsure what adapter would work.... My plan is to put my good fiberglass tank away and use the clarke  tank....

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Tahitian_Red

Any follow up on the Caswell tank sealer and the use of stickers on the Clarke tanks?

The Factory Novice
Racing the \\"FaltaNator\\" in 2011?

Kip Kern

I recently received a 3.7 gal orange tank for my "76" GS 400 Penton and it fits excellent and looks excellent.  I also ordered a dark green 3.7 gal for my "78" 390 Husky AMX and it should be arriving soon.  I just didn't want to tear up the original tanks on my riders so I went the Clarke route and am very satisfied.  Chris at Clarke will help you out if you need a nice replacement tank!  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!:D

Dennis Jones

I just recieved my Clarke MC5 tank yesterday. The color is very close to the DC Plastics side panels I have on the bike and it looks very trick. This was the last piece I needed for my (Johnny Cash - One Piece at a Time) 77 175 MC5 AHRMA racer. I hope to have pics posted soon.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

slvrbrdfxr

Hi all,
I sealed a couple of the plastic 77 GS6 Windsor tanks that I got from Al B using the Caswells Epoxy sealant. I sealed mine when they were brand new without ever having any fuel in them so the product would adhere better. So far it has held up fine and no problems to report. My decals seem to be staying on as well. In my opinion, preparation of the new tank is the key to making it work correctly. Follow the direction in the Caswells kit and you should be fine. I would suggest doing the process in the heat of the summer because the epoxy sealant is much thicker than the old Kreem sealant kits and flows out better in warm weather. Hope this helps.
Dave McCullough

Tahitian_Red

Thanks Dave!

Do the Clarke tanks fit 1974.5-77 frames or just th 1976-77?

The Factory Novice
Racing the \\"FaltaNator\\" in 2011?