KTM gearbox shims (?)

Started by DKWRACER, January 12, 2008, 05:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

Hello, seeking info on shims (mm thickness less than .5mm) availability.
Need to remove end play on the two shafts. Manual says to shim on the clutch side for yrs. 73 to 78.

Thanks in advance!
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

TGTech

Tom,

Back in the day, Uncle Ted got shims from Detroit Diesel for do the shimming of the KTM engines. I have no idea of what they were for, but I'd guess that they were from the fuel pumps.

I do have a few of them, but I'd have to check to see what thickness I have. I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

Dane

john durrill

Tom,
 Whats the ID and the OD on the shims you need?
Sachs engines use a bunch of different size shims in them.
John D.

G Ellis

Tom which gear cluster are you trying to shim? How many do you need? Later Gary

DKWRACER

Hi guys, somewhere along the lines of 17.5mm X 27/28mm .005 thickness, could stack them together etc.... Gary, many thanks if you have them....Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

john durrill

Tom,
 The closest we can find in the Sachs book is a part #0246 015-000 ,001, 002, 003
 They are 16.3 x 25.8 in .3 ,.5 ,1.0 ,0.15 mm
 They could be made to work with a little dremmel action.
Is the ID on the stock shim splined? which part # is it in the KTM engine book?
John D.

TGTech

Tom,
I've got the shims here in the shop today and I sorted them all out. The ID is 20.4 and the OD is 28.6. There are thicknesses of .005, .008, .010, .012, .016, .020, and .030.
Dane

DKWRACER

Hi John/Dane, looks like some progress....The Sachs shims might work, will ck. with the Pogger who has his own website (genuinenos.com)....these are not splined shim washers, but flat ones which can be used to remove small amnts. of end play etc....

Thanks,
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius