KTM 175 or 250 engine

Started by ozscofield, February 17, 2008, 05:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozscofield

I am looking for an engine for installation on what I believe is a 1975 frame.  The frame number doesn't follow precisely the format described by the experts as stamped on the frame is 550 05303 so I am somewhat confused.
Ideally, the engine I find will already be rebuilt/restored and ready to drop in the frame.
However, if anyone has something complete enough for a proper rebuild and restoration, that would certainly be something for me to consider.
This project is something way beyond anything mechanical ever attempted by me so I will appreciate any guidance anyone cares to offer.
Thanks,
Ozzie Scofield

Mike Lenz

Sounds like a 76 MC-5 frame by the number to me.

jj

Ozzie,

A MC5 550 serial number with a 5303 sequence may push it up to a 1977 model. If you are looking for the correct year engine, then you need to find one with an engine serial starting with a 6- or a 7-. If not, then any 250 engine should work. Your choice between a 175 or 250 boils down to what pipe you have. If you don't have a pipe, you can find 250 pipes around for a price, but finding a 175 pipe could be difficult.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka

Dennis Jones

Ozzie you have mail.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones