handlebar information

Started by mag407, February 20, 2008, 08:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mag407

hey guys. im thrilled to be a new member of POG. i rode pentons back in the 70's, and KTM's more recently. i bought a 74 1/2 250 hare scrambler thats in pretty good shape that i want to trail ride and maybe run in a few enduros. im wondering if anyone can help me find some original bend high bars to fit this bike. i have stock 7/8 inch bar clamps. i need tough bars to bounce off of trees. i know, im supposed to miss those things! i appreciate any help. maybe ill see you in the woods! thanks alot    mike.

paul

Hey Mike, Let me be first to say hi. You bought a great scoot and you'll like it here. If someone doesnt have a set watch the parts for sale here as many bikes/parts get found, parted sold ect. If we aint got it Ebay does. Ifn ya want brand new I would check out K&N as they used to have any type of bar made. Cant say as I have bought anything from them for awhile but I say they would be your best bet for vintage bars. Easy, TooTallPaul

Lew Mayer

Mike, brush guards are a must for bouncing off trees. I bounce off quite a few.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

mag407

thanks for the reply paul, but the only k&n i know are the guys who make air filters. could you give me more information? thanks. oh and by the way lew i always use bark busters. i even have them on my trials bike.  mike

454MRW

I bought a set of Fly Alumasteel handlebars that look exactly like these, and come with a bar pad. They are annodized aluminum/steel alloy with a crosshatch diamond pattern where the bar clamps go. Not quite as shiny as chrome, but not bad looking, but they are slightly oversize to the point that they don't fit down into the bar clamp bosses well, and I was afraid that the bar clamps on my 76 MC5 might break if tightened down, and I had to even enlarge the inner bushing on an original Magura trap door throttle just to get it to slip onto the bars. I decided not to use them without grinding down the knurling to reduce the size some. I have seen several "vendors" trying to pass these off as vintage by stating that they are not sure what brand they are, since they regularily retail around $ 24.95 every day, on the Flyracing.com website. I bought mine from DC plastics, and I don't plan on buying any more of them. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

mag407

hey thanks for the info. ill be sure and check it out. i live in chautauqua county ny. its on the very western end of ny. ive run harescrambles and enduros in ny and pa. i sold my ktm200exc a couple of years ago, but i missed riding. i came across this penton and decided it would be nice to be able to touch the ground again. and of course because it was a penton. so time and money depending i would like to maybe run a few WNYOA or ECEA enduros.     mike

Lew Mayer

There's an AHRMA cross-country in Binghamtom NY on June 20. It was pretty good last year. A lot of grass track, vintage-friendly. It didn't hurt that the weather was absolutely PERFECT. Something to consider.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

paul

Mike, do a google search and you will see a few different companies still sell K&N bars. Its the same co. that sells filters...I think its just their brand name on the bars. From the looks of the ones I saw they are superbike, flat track ect. If you want a vintage set ala crossbar its best to watch ebay. I have a neat set on my Montesa but they are low rise. I'll look and see what brand they are thou because thay look the part. Poor ol VR just got sold. Easy,TTP

OhioTed

Mike, I just bought a pair of really nice, chrome, vintage-style bars from Paul Stannard, of Strictly Hodaka.  These are really too nice to be bashing trees with, but it all depends on how "original" you want to be.  Also, I see that the Royal Enfield people offer old-style, chrome, cross-braced bars.  Speaking of Bark Busters, they were (are) standard equipment for us guys in the woodsy areas of Ohio & Pennsylvania.  Interestingly enough though, is that the Lojak family - who are among the fastest riders ever to come out of this area, noticably did not run BB's, at least back when we were a-racin'.

Lew Mayer

Those of us WITHOUT talent need them, for sure.[:o)]

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer