Let's Play - 100cc

Started by Ernie Phillips, March 19, 2008, 10:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

Just a word of encouragement:  Get those 100s built, tuned, tweaked ... do whatever you need to do but get'em ready.  Diamond Don's is just a couple of weeks away ... and then there is the rest of the season.  We need more 100cc Penton's to fend off the Super Rat attack.  A request has been made to let the 100s race by themselves so as not to interfere with riders wanting to race their 125 Classics.  No excuses ... Let's Play!

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

[email protected]

Ernie I am with you brother. Bring em out and let's ride ! I hope that with the six speed ban reversal that will see more Berkshire's out on the track. Although they are a beautiful bike but seem from an outsiders view to be somewhat rare ? No matter what you have be a part of the first of the 100cc class race season.

Ernie will you be at Diamond Don's race in a few weeks ? I along with six other Hodaka riders will be there and hope that our Penton brothers will join us. I have it on good authority that for now if you pre-register for the 100cc Class and Classic 125 that they will be certain at the race that you will be able to race both classes in order to accommodate the needs of the small bore riders. I was not there but I understand this was done last week at the Sandhill race in California. I know it was also done at Buckeye in Arizona too.
I look forward to meeting you Ernie at one of these races.
Thanks for the space.
Paul

Ernie Phillips

Paul,  I plan on being at DD for Cross Country and VMX. Logistics still have to be worked out, but the desire is there on my part.  Plus, I've never, ever raced in Texas ... and everything is bigger and better in Texas ...  7 Rats  against 1 Berkshire... don't seem fair does it?  Come'on Penton brothers ... help.  If you haven't been on a 100 in a while ... scream, scream, scream that little motor ... shift, shift, shift that little gearbox ... keep the speed up in the corners.  This is hard for a guy who prefers the gusto of a large Maico.  But, I'm learning.

And, thanks for all you and the Hodaka crew have done to finally get a 100cc class.  Now, it is up to all of us to support the class.   Looking forward to meeting you too.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Lew Mayer

7 Rats to 1 Berkshire? Sounds fair to me.[8D]

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

brian kirby

Especially if Ernie is riding the one Berkie.

Brian
Brian

pentons4evr

HiI'm proud to be a union bricklayer.(unions built this country,any scab that doesn't respect that is an uneducated scab)Anyway we have a NO RAT sticker that we all wear on out hard hats. Anybody that is proud to be an american (and rides a penton) can email me a recieve a free no rat sticker. I will also try to send any pog member american or not a NO RAT sticker also.Well I guess I'm going to say the pledge of allegience and get back to polishing my berkshire cylinder. Lets all try to american and only buy from company's that buy their gas from american company's. STOP SUPPORTING THE TOWELHEADS.THEY ARE KILLING OUR FAMILY MEMBERS.Anyway let get back to making some rat poison.

bentrims

I got an open weekend. Anyone got a spare Berkie?[8D] Hodie boys bring your pink slips!

Tflores

I'll be there with my 72 Berksire! Tom
Tom Flores
72 Penton Berkshire
77 Penton GS6 250
77 Penton MC5 250
12 KTM 300XCW
76 Honda XR75
73 Honda CB750K3

Ernie Phillips

Tom F.  Glad to hear you are bringing your Berkshire.  Please stop by for a visit.  

Bent.  Sorry, but I brought 3 fresh Pentons to Ocala and only one survived unhurt.  I would also add that I did not break them.  So, my days of "loaning" bikes is over (Christopher & Brian - are you listening?)[xx(]

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Lew Mayer

Now Ernie, have you ever heard of Tom B breaking a bike?[:o)]

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Ron

Hi Ernie,
Are you running a Mikuni on your 100cc?
I'm in the process of putting a 100cc top-end on mine with a 28mm Mikuni.
I haven't run it yet, but I'm going to start out with:
45 pilot
180 main
N8 needle jet
5F21 needle (3rd position)
2.5 slide
Hopefully I can take it out this weekend for testing.
I'd really appreciate knowing what your running.
Thanks much, RonW

Ernie Phillips

Ron,  We are running a 28mm Mikuni on the 100.  My jetting is the same except for 160 main jet.  We have raced from elevation 100ft at Ocala to 800ft at Chattanooga.  6B engine is stock except for PVL,  removed the exhaust baffle [:p] and 12/54 gearing.  Although the 100 is "fresh" it only has 105 psi cranking pressure.  With me on the bike at 175 lbs, it is just plain doggy.  Lightweights like Brian & Christopher can make it fly.  As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to investigate further and see if I can bump up the compression a tad.  By comparison, our mostly stock (unported) 125 bikes run really strong and depending on engine configuration, have 140-175 psi compression.  Good luck with your 100 efforts.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Ron

Ernie,
Thanks for the info. I'll drop the main before I take it out.
I'm running a PVL also on a 6B bottom end with a Circle F pipe. My gearing is 13 x 60 which I really like on the 125cc, so I'm hoping it will work out on the 100cc.
Thanks again and have fun at DD's, wish I could be there!
RonW

Mike Burgess

Southrider needs to get his new Berkshire wrapped up and make this event. It's a 180 lbs race ready and looks like one beautiful Berkshire. My Fathers done all the exotic work to it and Clark has dome the assembly but from the pics it's one Bad lil Berkshire. I'd give everything i own to have my forst Berkshire back. Dad built it for me when i was just 12 years old and it was the fastest Berkshire anywhere near us. In fact we had people calling on a regular basis wanting to put their Bikes up against mine and it went unbeaten until the day we sold it to help pay bills and keep the shop afloat. Out of every motorcycle Mr. John produced the Berkshire grabbed me by the heart and still has a place in my heart that can never be replaced. I've spent my entiore life in the industry and even now with a serious spinal cord injury i do alot of work onlione helping kids obtain sponsorships and all the help they need to continue on in the greatest sport that ever came to life on earth. Personally i would like to put a big old kiss on Mr. Johns cheek for putting the Berkshire out on  then market. It was truly a remarkable bike for it's time. Anyone having a Berkshire thats available i would appreciate a message concerning it. I can't ride ever again but what i would give to have a prestine Berkshire totally restored sitting in front of my mantle and fireplace. Rock on all you guy's thats bringing that very special bike to the front of the vintage series.

Mike Burgess Jr.
Competition Cycle Sales
New Orleans, La.

firstturn

Mike Jr.,
  I too have the same love for the 100 Penton.  I have owned a lot of bikes, but I still like the 100 Bershire.  It is really amazing what one can do with a properly built 100.  I have a shorty pipe on mine that your Father built back in the day.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh