Hi-Point boots

Started by OhioTed, March 28, 2008, 07:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Are Hi-Point boots presently being offered by any suppliers?  I recall having seen them in catalogs a few years ago, but nothing since then.

Jim A

Vintage Iron lists High Point boots with the meral shin guards.

Jim A
Jim A

brian kirby

Brian

JP Morgen

I was stubborn and used vintage boots, UNTIL I clipped a hay bale,and broke my leg! Get some modern boots, get accustomed to them, you can ride faster and longer, safer.

Mick Milakovic

My boy's feet (and the rest of him) are growing fast and I can't afford $299 every year for a new pair of quality boots.  You can get some remarkable bargains on eBay for both used and new boots.  I've seen brand-new boots go for less than $50, and almost-new Gaerne SG-10, for example, go for next to nothing.  Just my take,

Mick

Mick

pketchum

For ME, the SG-10's were a horrible boot and didn't fit me at all.  I'm not deformed either.  I absolutely hated mine and sold them after about 6 rides.  I had no feeling with all that plastic and found myself stomping on my exhaust pipe instead of downshifting while riding my "modern" bike.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

socalmx

Take advantage of modern technology for safety equipment. You can buy a pair of decent O'Neal, MSR, Ocolot, etc. boots for around $100 brand new. Much safer than relying on 30 year old leather and stiching.

Ernie Phillips

Yes, modern boots offer better protection ... but, Pentons go better with High Point products - boots included.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/ernie7711/erniemxDSC_02761.jpg
(Nelson Lingle photo - Mid -Ohio 2007)

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

OhioTed

Ok, you guys have convinced me.  I'm going for a "modern" pair of boots.  I've seen ads for these new things from Scott, which are all plastic.  They look cool!

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by OhioTed

Ok, you guys have convinced me.  I'm going for a "modern" pair of boots.  I've seen ads for these new things from Scott, which are all plastic.  They look cool!

They are as bad as the originals were.
AND VERY EXPENSIVE.  

Now you can also get the FULL BORE BOOT replica or AKA: Joel Robert Replica boot from Sidi.  VERY NICE BOOT Copy of the 1974 Full Bore / Sidi boot. Just in Black with Red White and Green stripes instead of the original , red white and blue.  Very Vintage looking but a modern boot. All leather not a bunch of plastic sewn together.

socalmx

The modern Full Bore boots really do look nice. On the originals, a seam was behind the center white stripe. Alot of times kickstarting a bike and banging the front of the boot against the footpeg caused that area to get chewed up. Once the stripe was worn thru, you started splitting open that seam. The fix at the time was to have an extra piece of leather sewn on in this area to protect the seam. Not as nice looking but kept the boot from tearing apart. When you are 16 and the 50 dollars you spent on those Full Bores represented about a week's earnings, you did not want them to fall apart too soon.

OhioTed

Hey, Dwight - I was just kidding about getting plastic boots.  I was referring to the ORIGINAL Scott boots, which ended up tearing up everyone's knees.  I haven't had a good pair of boots since my original Norstars.  $69.95!  I've got a pair of original Hondaline boots though, which were given to me as part of a package deal with a bike.  They are in great shape, and I wear 'em at the Reliability Run.  Anyone know who made them for Honda?

wfopete

Maybe I'm just lucky but since I got rid of my "Total Plastic" Scotts boots of the '80's I've worn nothing but the newer versions of the classic Hi-Points (little bits of added plastic in shift toe area and heel etc).  Of course I have gone through several pair and had them re-soled also. No foot/ankle injuries yet (knock on wood).  

IMHO these boots are super comfortable, EZ to repair, give very good protection, are resonably waterproof and wear well. I know alot of my buddies who have gone out and spent big $ on the latest and greatest boot only to find that the boots falls apart or is uncomfortable.  

I also know buddies who have gone for the $100 boots and have been totally happy with them.  Finding "Your Boot" can be a little trial and error but also remember that some folks attribute knee and leg injuries/problems to a boot that is so ridged that it does not flex or give.  That impact your foot takes has got to go somewhere.

Also think about parts replacement.  All those gee-whiz clamps, buckles and straps that fall off or die on the trail, ma be out of style next season so stock up.

I even where a pair of 1970 Hi-Points on the street when I'm tooling around on my BMW. Makes the Harley guys jealous...I think.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

john durrill

Pete,
 I'm with you. I tried the new boots and had no feel for what my feet were doing. Very uncomfortable. They dont come with cleated soles either. Cant do much pushing , walking  or many things on off camber muddy slick surfaces with the soles on the new boots. I have a pair of old High Points we got off of ebay in 2001 and they are still working for me.
 Looks like i may have to go to Lineman boots  when these give it up though. Not looking forward to the laces chuckle chuckle. I love the buckles on my High Points . No moving parts , easy to put on and i have only seen a very few of the first type that were cast break.
 John D.

Ernie Phillips

As previously stated, I normally wear Hi-Point boots realizing that I'm giving up some protection.  However, I decided to wear 8" high, Gortex lined, hunting boots for last Friday's CC at Diamond Don's for two reasons:
1.  They are waterproof and very light.  Getting a heavy, waterlogged, boot back on the pegs is very tiring on a long event.
2.  Lugged sole for added traction when needed.
They worked just fine and I'll keep then in the gear bag just in case.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN