72-73 pIPe pAiNt Match?

Started by gooddirt, April 20, 2008, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooddirt

Anyone have a OEM pipe paint match that they like?  LG

Ron

What bike?
I have a nice match for 72/72 125cc green.
If you search the archives for "finally done" you can see the color.
RonW

OUCWBOY

Larry,
Get Marc Biro to powder coat it!!

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

socalmx

An easy way to do it is to paint the pipe with your favorite hi temp flat black paint. Let it dry well then apply Armor All to it to give it a nice semi-gloss look. I have used this technique for years and even though you need to re-apply the Armor All after each wash it works out well.

tofriedel

The hi-temp flat black or semi-gloss has worked for me.   If the semi-gloss is to shiney, just hit it with some fine steel wool to get the finish you want.

As for powder coating, a friend of mine just had a pipe done for his Maico in chrome powder coat.  It looks close to chrome, but not quite as bright.

Tony
Tony

Lew Mayer

Tony, that was ceramic coated and I just had one done in satin black by the same guy for my Jackpiner. I'll let you know about durability.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Ron

DUH! I missed the pipe part.
Sorry, RonW

crash carden

Hello gooddirt, The best match I have found for Penton pipe paint is Dupli Color 500 degree high gloss black,its a rattle can paint,but very good paint. Once you have the pipe stripped down to the bare metal and clean and dry apply 1 or 2 thin coats of the paint. I normaly do 2 thin coats within 30 min. of each other so I get good coverage and no runs,as well as the paint is still green and the 2 coats become one. Then I let it dry in the direct sun light for a few days, the longer the better. Then when I go to mount the pipe on the bike I slide a plastic bag over 3/4 of the pipe from the exhaust outlet toward the front of the pipe. I do this so I don't scratch the pipe or the frame when mounting. I use an old plastic bag that a fender came in, it works well for me. Once you have the pipe in place you can just pull the bag off the end of the pipe and then install the mount brackets. Then I ride the bike in clean dry conditions for the first few hours or times I ride,so the paint will cure out good and set up hard before I ride in any mud or water. At least run the bike long enough to get the pipe good and hot, then let it cool down and then repeat this process several times and it will cure out and bake the paint on the pipe. I have found when I do this process the Dupli Color paint holds up great, and cleans up nice and looks good no matter how much mud and water I get into later on. I also used Dupli Color 500 degree low gloss black on my black motor Jackpiner and it looks like the factory paint and holds up very well. Just remember you want Dupli Color 500 degree High gloss for the best match for the Penton pipe paint match. Dupli Color also makes a 1200 degree in high gloss black but you don't want it! Because when it drys it has a brown tint to it and does not look like the original Penton pipe paint. Hope this helps you out,have fun....and GO PENTON!
                          :D Crash Carden.

Gary Roach

I use brake caliper paint. VHT and Plasti-kote both offer High Gloss Black, and VHT offers a Satin Black. Both brands withstand 900°F temperatures.

This is the High Gloss Black on the pipes in these 3 photos.  

gooddirt

Thanks to ALL for the TIPS and PICS ! ; great bikes Gary.

OhioTed

This subject could not have come at a better time, as I am just about to do a '73 Six-Day pipe.  Couple of points to clarify, though:

What is correct for this year/model - gloss, or semi-gloss?

Also, for Gary - I like to ease and cost of the rattle cans, but how well does that stuff hold up in operation?  I've used some "hi-temp manfold paint" from Eastwood in the past, but it looks awful after the bike is put into use, and doesn't seem to hold up.  Crash seems to have a curing process figured out with the paint he is using.    

Also, what can be done if there are pin holes in the pipe and/or silencer cap?

Ted

Rain Man

Hey Gary, have you ridden those bikes on ole dusty yet;)

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

crash carden

Hello Ohio Ted, For pin holes in the pipe if you are unable to metal patch and weld them,I have used JB Weld with great results. You can sand it, paint it, blends right in and its Hi Temp, and holds up well. It also is good for filling small dents it the pipe that you want to hide. Of course this is just for pin holes and small dents.  Hope this helps you out. [8D] Crash Carden - Go Penton!

OhioTed

I will give that a try, CC.  Thank you.  I presume I will want to blast the pipe down to bare metal before applying it?

crash carden

Ohio Ted, Yea bare metal is good! Then I put the JB weld on a
           little thicker than it needs to be so I can sand it down and
           blend it in with the pipe. I feather edge it out with wet sand paper. Then when you get ready for paint I have found that one thin coat of Hi Temp. black primer will help the JB Weld blend in better with the metal. Then when you spray on the Hi gloss black you will not be able to see where the patched area is. However sometimes I have had to put on 2 thin coats of the Hi gloss to get the best look. Hope this helps you out,have fun! :D Wow! Gary Roach's bike's look Great! I think the next pipe I paint will be with the brand he's using 900 degrees ;)