Started by rick deford, April 20, 2008, 06:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick deford

Hello All,

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Rick DeFord, from Lakewood WA. Back in the day I raced a 71 125 Penton I bought from Lemon Grove Honda, San Diego county, CA. The bike was raced by one of the shop's employee's, Bill Silverthorn. What a great bike, looked great, boy was it fast. It won first 3 races. Any way, the bike got stolen. With the insurance money I went to a 72 Husky. To make a long story a story short, I've been looking for a 71 Penton for a number of years. I was answering an ad on craigs list for a 67 Greeves 125. I didn't know that Greeves actually made a 125, so I went for a look. He actually sold me a 1968 Penton 125, S/N: V 866. It's a basket case. I think it's only missing the air box and chain guard. The carb is a Mikuni, did it come orininally with a 24mm Bing?
My goal is to have a raceable but as originable as possible bike.
Hopefully I won't wear all of you guys out with too many questions. From researching the forum, just about all of my questions have already been asked and answered.

Regards,

Rick

ps I'm STILL looking for a '71 125.

firstturn

Rick,
  Welcome to our club.  Sounds like you had a top Pro Penton if it was ridden by Bill (Silverthron).  This should get you started and the information can be found in Production Years in the main Menu.  Again wecome and you will find a lot help from some great people on this forum.

1968  (Starting Serial No. V001)
* 100cc Sachs powered 5 speed Berkshire introduced with gas tank, air box and rear shock body, all finished in red
* 125cc Sachs powered 5 speed Six-Day introduced with gas tank, air box and rear shock body, all finished in green
* All frames are painted silver
* Gas tank is 2.5 gallon and made of steel
* Small white Penton decals with model name and size on upper front sides of gas tank with lettering being straight
   or angled
* All Sachs engines come with cast iron cylinder and vertical finned (butch) heads or short finned sunburst Sachs high
  compression head or Puch short finned sunburst head
* Engines came with Bosch point type ignition and 24 mm Bing carburetor
* Air box is cast aluminum 10 1/4" tall enclosed frame style - later same year models came with shortened 7 1/2" tall
   version for better air flow
* Frames came without welded on fork stops if equipped with Ceriani steering dampener that contained an adjustable
   dampener knob on the triple clamp and self-contained fork stops - later same year frames came with frame welded
   fork stops and no steering dampener unit
* Early models came with twist on/off gas caps - later same year models came with flip top gas caps
* Two piece front engine mount
* Chrome expansion chamber on very first models
* 16" long seat
* 35mm Ceriani forks with long rubber accordion boots
* Fully covered Ceriani rear shocks finished in chrome with matching model paint
* 4 bolt rear sprocket carrier hub assembly
* Steel chain guard (20" along top)
* Curved style center stands
* Magura controls with oval shaped throttle - later models are round
* Narrow polished aluminum front fender and tubular steel fender brace with brace having an overall width of 3"
* Skid plate welded to frame
* Non-high breather frame
* Expansion chamber with stinger tip
* Cast aluminum barrel style front and rear hubs
* Chrome spokes
* Aluminum or chrome rims
* Head light is large color coordinated 5 3/4" diameter x 7 3/4" long bullet shape

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Rick, welcome! As you can see I have a couple of Pentons. I live just north of Seattle and if I can be of some help, please let me know. I am not real wise when it comes to the little pentons but I will do what ever I can, when I got to this site a few years ago I was sure that I would wear out my welcome but that never happened... there are a few pentons in this neck of the woods but not many... the amazing thing is that more are begining to pop up so who knows, Once in awhile I will see a penton at the races and I know of a few that are working building a Penton for racing near by so who knows what can happen. speaking of racing, we have alot of vintage racing going on in this area, so come out and see us, even if the bike is not finished... check out this, this is really the hub for racing here in the northwest... sitehttp://www.siegecraftnw.com/VDR.htm

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W