NOT PENTON but More BAJA

Started by Larry Perkins, June 12, 2008, 09:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

This is for the few that have been following the BAJA MONKEYS on the 152X bike and the Baja journey.  We are back and partly recovered from the 40th Baja 500.  The brief synopsis-One tough mutha!  Race day had over 300 entries and 80 degrees on the Western coast and 100 degrees on the Eastern coast.  This one had all the real Baja experience-Sand, mountains, rock, dust, rain ruts, sandwashes, cows, sheep, buses, cars, boobytraps, and 100,000 spectators.  

I was in need of Carpal Tunnel surgery before the race but had to delay it to get this one done so I did the easy job.  I raced the first 40 miles and the last 40 miles. I started at about 6:10 am in downtown Ensenada including a drainage wash that had the famous Red Bull jump you always see on TV.  Then came the washed out dirt roads leading into the Ensenada burbs.  This became a constant battle with choking and blinding dust.  In this first part there were dozens of boobytraps like trees across the course, a telephone pole across the course, and 20-30 tires laying across the road.  I got the bike to our next rider and then waited 11 hours for it to come back to me so I could take it back in.  

The trip back in was A BAD RUSH as the pit told me to be careful as the Trophy Truck leaders were very close and closing.  I hauled the mail for about 15 miles and began to think they might not catch me.  Then I saw the helicopter and knew the truck was moments away.  There is probably no near death experience as an 800 horsepower Trophy Truck blowing by at 120 mph.  Before the finish I was passed by 2 Tropy Trucks and 2 Buggies the 2nd of which had no chopper and did not blare his horn.  The first thing I knew I could not see and was still doing 40-50 mph.  I caught one of the numerous rain ruts with my front wheel and went down hard.  I was very dinked in the head but got it together and brought in just before dark at about 7:30 pm.

We finished and only 67% did.  We were 4th in Pro Class 20 and are 2nd for the season only 9 points out of first.  We now regroup for the Baja 1000 in late November and try to make history as the first Pro team to win a SCORE Championship from a state that does not have a desert.  We will have two new riders that are even better than we have had and think we will have a good chance if we continue to remember to finish first we must first finish.

One quick tough nut story.  The overall bike was as usual the Johnny Campbell crew on the 1X bike but they were dogged all day by a privateer Honda team on the 8X bike.  Ryan Penhall was the last rider on the 8X bike and could see the dust of 1X till about 50 miles from the finish when he all the sudden saw a truck coming right at him.  He hit it head on and went underneath the truck.  Ryan broke his wrist and blew his knee both of which will have surgery.  Here is the tough nut part.  Ryan picked it up and road the bike the last 50 miles into Ensenada finishing 2nd overall in the bikes.  Ryan is the son of Bruce Penhall and in my opinion is the toughest nut I ever met in motorcycling.

Now I have to get caught up and yes Brother Ron I will get my writing done as promised.  Thanks for listening guys.  This has been a great adventure already and I wish you all could know what it is like to go those last few miles in front of 20,000 screaming moto fans.

Larry P

socalmx

If you enjoyed baja, you could always move to California and start racing District 37 desert events. Lots of baja type fun without the booby traps and bad water. :D

tmc3c

Great job Larry!!! Ryan is VERY lucky he didn't end up like Danny Hamel.Be careful buddy!!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Larry,
  It is always great to hear your reports.  I know you have put everthing into this effert including a bike or two that you should have never parted with....but it is a all out effort and I am very Proud of you and your Team.  Please keep us updated and I will be in touch. Just "Remember the Alamo".

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rd400pi

Awesome job Larry, keep up the good work.  Sounds like it's just as dangerous as ever.

Mike H.

pakala

Larry,
 Wow, Livin the dream!!! If you boys need any help for the 1000 let me know.
             Paul(3hr's from Ensenada)

johnnysurf1

great reporting,tough race,tough men.....johnny

bildough

great effort larry.

bill cappel