1979 KTM 175 for sale

Started by Glassmaker, June 24, 2008, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glassmaker

I just listed my '79 KTM 175 for sale on eBay and a fraudulent bidder stopped the auction a few hours later with buy-it-now. Rather than relisting it there I figure it would probably be better to just offer it for sale here instead. Auction listing, bike description, and photos can be seen at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190231958155

If anyone here is interested let me know. I would rather sell it here than on fleabay anyway. (Which is what I should have done in the first place.) Any questions feel free to ask. It would be nice to see it go to a good home.

Bike is located in Newnan, Georgia - just southwest of Atlanta.

Thanks,
Brad
\\\'79 KTM 175GS, \\\'76 Husky 175GP, \\\'74 Husky 125/175SC

glb1glb1

Please call me at 404-317-7070.  Thanks  Greg Bostwick

74 Berkshire 100
73 Jackpiner 175
97 KTM 200
74 OSSA 250 SDR
74 Berkshire 100
73 Jackpiner 175
97 KTM 200
74 OSSA 250 SDR

Glassmaker

Greg, I've been trying to contact you with no luck. If you are really interested in my bike give me a call. 678-754-1232 (cell)

Thanks,
Brad

thrownchain

I beleive Greg was in Beldon Hills NY this weekend racing flattrack. That may explain his lack of communication? Give him time.

skiracer

Brad,

Your listing is no longer on EBay to view.  Can you send me some details on the bike?
Thanks, James
original owner 1976 250 MC 5

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Glassmaker

Hi Jim,

Here is the slightly edited text from the eBay auction listing:

1979 KTM 175 GS80

serial number 902 04173

Excellent running condition. (With one problem. See below.) Not showroom pretty, but great for riding/racing. Mainly stock with some mods for racing. Mods include: Frank Strnad reed valve, Works Performance shocks, and Super Trapp silencer on stock exhaust pipe (pretty loud). Metzeller knobby tires with good tread. Starts consistently within three kicks. If okay with the buyer, I would like to keep the shocks, as they came off of my '77 Husky 175. They were revalved for the KTM, but I still have the Husky valving and no shocks for the Husky, which I want to put back together. I always thought the WP shocks worked better on the Husky anyway. To be honest, they were not as good on the KTM as the stock Bilsteins.

This is a two owner bike. I originally bought it in 1980 from a friend in Colorado (Kevin Davis) who was a KTM sponsored enduro rider. I rode it for a couple of years and then it was parked for the last 25 years or so after I quit dirt riding due to a work related back injury. Bike was kicked over a few times each year after that to keep the engine in good shape, but never ridden more than a couple of miles at any time.

General condition of bike:

Rear fender is cracked, and inelegantly fixed with zip ties and duct tape. Mainly cosmetic. I rode with it like that for a couple of years. Normal wear on paint and plastic. (See photos.) Some surface rust here and there, nothing major. Pipe has a few dents and some surface rusting at front curve, but works fine. No cracks. Grips are usable but should probably be replaced. End on throttle side is ripped but works okay. Brazed on case guard on left side of engine obviously did its job well - it has a good sized dent in it. KTM decal on left side of tank is partially missing. Fork boots are cracked/ripped from age. Tires need new tubes. Neither holds air for long. (In fact the rear tire spun on rim the last time I rode it, which is why valve stem is missing in photos.) Tires themselves (Metzelers) are in very good shape. Rear has very little time on it and still has original surface texture on all but the center knobs. Front tire is also nearly new, probably has 5 - 10 hrs on it.

Please note - the clutch actuator lever seal let go recently, so that will need to be replaced. Doesn't look like much of a job, but I just don't have the time to chase down a seal and fix it. Bike is otherwise in excellent mechanical condition. Very fast and reliable, it won me a few trophies in New England enduros and hare scrambles in the early 80's. I think my only DNF on it was due to a flat front tire in a hare scramble. All in all I think this would be an ideal vintage bike for the right person. Although it needs a little maintenance to be race ready, it is mechanically sound and an overall great racing bike. Mechanically, it really just needs the clutch lever seal, new tubes front and rear, and gas and oil.

Although it is a good, strong running bike, it is a dirt bike so is being sold as - just like when it was new. I will be happy to let anyone who wants inspect it before bidding. One way or the other, it is the buyer's responsibility to be sure this is the bike he/she wants - before bidding. The auction winner may pick up the bike in Newnan, GA, which is what I would prefer. Otherwise, shipping is the responsibility of the buyer. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to crate the bike or make shipping arrangements but will deliver it for a fee to a shipper of your choice within a reasonable distance.

As an added bonus for the true vintage racing enthusiast, this bike includes some early 1980's racing dirt and grease. (Or put another way, I'm too lazy to detail it.)

Auction reserve price was $1250 and buy it now was $1350, but it only made it a few hours before a fraudulent bidder ended the auction early with buy it now.