thanks for the thoughts and prayers

Started by chicagojerry, July 08, 2008, 12:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicagojerry

hi all, just returned from my orthopedic doctor visit prior to my scheduled surgery for this thurs. good news is that it has healed better than expected and surgery has been put off pending further progress. my acl is completely ruptured but he stated that many people can do just fine without them as long as the knee is stable. i would never race again without knee braces but surgery may not be necessary in at least the short term future. :D  that means i won't be hobbling around quite as bad at mid-ohio, which is good news. see everyone there and thanks for the prayers and kind thoughts. [8D] chi jer

Knute

Thats great news Jerry.  See you at Mid-Ohio.

Kent
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

firstturn

Prayers are answered and thank for keeping us updated.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

bildough

chicago;

I learned my lesson the hard way at Hard Rock. The only time i rode without my braces I ruined my left knee. Moral is always use your protection. I really like my asterisk knee braces. i hardly know they are on. i hope this is a wake up call and you also have a Leatt neck brace. One crash without and you could be in real bad shape. Better to have and not need then to need and not have,
we need all your energy at the races Chicago. You always brighten up my days there.

Bill Cappel

chicagojerry

thanks bill. before i race again, i will have either cti's or astericks as well as a leatt neck brace. lesson learned the hard way. for anyone else paying attention, get that protection. there is no doubt in my mind that good braces would have prevented this significant injury. it happened in the blink of an eye while in control and no crashing involved.  see everyone at mid-ohio. i hope everyone takes the time to look me up. obviously, on friday i'll be around the CC event and sat i'll be spectating friends on my bikes and others on their own machines. friday and sat evening look for me near the southwest corner of the mx pits. i'll be close to my buddy diamond don. he's loud enough for anyone to find or just look for his texas flag.  [8D]    chi jer

paul

Hey Jerry, Keep an eye out for me as I would like to meet and say thank you in person. I cant bring my Pentons because I am picking up a couple bikes before I get there (zook 50's for the street) and I really wanted to bring my Aermacchi 250 MX as its got some history and neat parts that Y'all would probly like to see. If I still have your email I will send a pic of the bike and me so ya can recognize me. Its hard to leave my other bikes but I have worked hard on this and it needs to be in public at least one time. Hope to see and meet many more people also. Get better soon Bro...exercise that leg. Easy,TooTallPaul

Lew Mayer

Jerry, glad to hear you're healing well. We'll see you at Mid-O.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

brian kirby

I second Bill's comment on the Leatt. I crashed two weeks ago harder than I have since a desert race in 1984. I went down in 5th gear landing from a jump. I got a HUGE bruise on my chest where my helmet hit the ground and them it pushed the Leatt into my chest. The Leatt transferred all of that energy that would have gone into my neck and sent it to my shoulders and chest. I knew it would work as advertised but now I know for sure it works. I was bumped and bruised in a crash that could easily have broken my neck without the Leatt.

I will NEVER ride without my Leatt. If I go to a race and forget it, I wont race.

Brian
Brian

woodchuck

Jer, I don't want to dampen your pleasure about putting off the surgery on your knee, but I also don't want you to make the same mistake that I made and pay a higher price down the road. Remember the situation with my shoulder........? For those of you who don't know; I had to have shoulder replacement surgery two years ago.
My doctor told me several times that if I hadn't been such a macho fool in dealing with the pain and come to him eatier for corrective surgery, he could have saved my shoulder for sure.
The point is, make sure putting off the surgery now, isn't going to cost you a higher price down the road. Doctors love to tell you what you want to hear when they can, but you rally need to discuss the longer term aspects of the situation before making short term decisions.

See you in two weeks,

Chuck Purinton

chicagojerry

thanks for the insight chuck, the story goes a little deeper. believe me, i expressed to my doctor that i am very active, whether racing working, and believe it or not i can dance pretty well too. if i feel that no surgery will impede any of my activities long term, i vote loud and clear for going under the knife. the other part of the equation has been, even though my knee has stabilized remarkably well thus-far, i still have not acheived full extension of the leg when standing on it. the doctor said that that would worsen more if the surgery were to be done now. but the rest of the stability would improve long term. a more in depth evaluation will be aug 7 when i go back. then i either go back to work and see how it goes without an acl or i go under the knife. but i have been surprised the amount of recovery to this point. but knee braces are in my future no matter what. coming to vmd chuck?   [8D] chi jer

Jeff D

Chi Jer,
I am 3 weeks post-ACL reconstructive surgery and probably still a month away from being cleared to go back to work, but if you plan on using that knee for all your favorite activities for years to come, I'd recommend biting the bullet and going under the knife.  Yes, it's a pain in the rear and will keep you hobbled up for a couple of months, but as others have pointed out, it will prevent worse stuff from happening down the road.  I had my right knee done 7 years ago (soccer injury) and it is stronger today than it was then.  A horse rolling on me caused my left knee issues (should stick to bikes, right!) and at 50 I don't heal as fast, but all the docs say the repaired ACL is stronger than your OEM parts, especially considering the wear and tear of your lifetime thus far.  Once race season is over, I'd schedule the surgery and get it over with.  Just another 2 cents from another cripple!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

woodchuck

Yes, Jer I will see you at VMD; wouldn't miss it for anythng!

Chuck Purinton