OT - BMW R/GS

Started by sachsmx, July 30, 2008, 02:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sachsmx

Is there anyone here who rides a BMW R/GS series bike? I am looking to buy one in the not too distant future to get back on two wheels, so to speak. I am looking for something that can comfortably do my 150 mile round trip commute to work (via 4-lane highway at 70mph) and take on the occasional fire road or mild trail. No serious off-roading, mind you;). I have never liked the short seat height of most road bikes nor single cylinder DP bikes for long stretches of pavement. Since price will be an issue, most newer bikes are out of the question. I am targeting something with low miles from the mid 1980s to mid 1990s such as an R80GS or R100GS.

Jeff D

I think most g/s owners will heartily recommend them for the riding you are talking about.  From my association with BMWMOA and BMWRA a few years back, there were always a good number of them at the rallies and their owners raved about them.  An aftermarket seat might be in order (or just a sheepskin) as the stock seats are a bit hard on the hind end, and my preference is a windshield, of which there are plenty of good aftermarket ones available, many quickly detachable for that quick dose of dirt riding when needed.
If you doubt their off-road capabilities, I'll point out that Dave Latham (former OSSA ISDT rider) rode his stock R100GS in the 2001 Park Hills MO ISDT Reunion Ride and medalled on it!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

john durrill

Mark,
 Jeff would be a good source for advise on the BMW. I had an 83 R80RT and loved it for the road. Jeff must be part German chuckle chuckle! See the pic below. That's him at the 2003 RR

John D

sachsmx

Thanks guys for the info. Any recommendations as to tires would be appreciated. My plan is to keep the engine basically stock, with the possible exception of a big bore kit should I get an R80, and then lighten the bike as much as possible while keeping it street legal and reliable. I guess I am leaning towards an '86 or earlier R80GS Monolever model since they were quite a bit lighter to start out with and appear to be designed more for off-road use than the later Paralever models.

Ernie Phillips

I have both a '84 R80GS and '92 R100GS/PD.  They are wonderful machines, but they are NOT dirt bikes!  Sure, you can ride them off-road with some success but that success is largely dependent on rider skill, determination, and bravado. I don't care how much suspension travel, engine mods, huge knobby tires --- they still weight in at +500 pounds.  Of the 2 choices, the R80 is easier to manage in the rough due to smaller size and lighter weight.  The R100 is a great pack mule and better on tarmac.  The R80GS has achieved cult status with prices for a nice one way up there.  Paralever driveshaft replacement is required at 40-50K miles on the R100. Tires:  Metzler Enduro 3 is good compromise tire but only good for 3-5K miles on rear.  Avon Gripster used to be cheap and OK – though it got the nickname of "Slipster".  With you stated 150 mile daily RT, you might be better served by true "street tires."   You can expect about 40 mpg on these old airheads.  Although the Jap bikes lack character, take a look at the Suzuki 650 V-Strom. – modern engine, +50 mpg, it goes, it stops, it turns, ... will leave a stock airhead wondering what happened.  But owning and riding the older BMW GSs is special.  The poor Suzy has no soul.  Good luck --

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

brian kirby

The up side of the Bee Emm Wobblies is you dont need Bark Busters with those jugs hanging off the side. :D

Brian
Brian

sachsmx

Thanks Ernie for the info. Yes, I must have a bike with soul. The only "mainstream" bike I have ever owned has been a 2002 KTM 300. I've only owned one Jap bike: 1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat (1st bike). I've always loved the look of the R80G/S. The later models don't do much for me. Also, I don't want EFI, ABS, or any other complicated features. I am looking to commute a couple of times a week 150 miles round trip and the occasional ride up a well maintained mountain dirt road/trail. If I didn't have the long commute I'd look into a smaller single cylinder bike like a KTM 640. If money were no object I'd go for a KTM V-twin :D
Unfortunately due to knee problems I have hung up the serious off-roading :( but still need the occasional spin in the dirt.