Still...Keeping Track

Started by Mark Annan, December 04, 2001, 05:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Annan

I just got my latest issue with coverage of the ISDT Reunion Ride.  While quickly flipping through the pages on the way in from the mailbox I spotted a picture of my friend Teddy Landers smiling away.  Right below that there was a picture of me on my Steel Tanker.  How cool is that !!  Yes I made it the whole weekend without doing serious harm to myself or my bike.  I had a few problems but managed to earn a Bronze Medal.  This was my first motorcycle competition of any type.  I should probably quit while I am ahead but it was TOO MUCH FUN.  I'll be back for more.

The entire weekend was fantastic, but I'd like to make note of a few personal highlights.

1.  On Saturday morning during my 10 minutes to get gassed up and ready John Penton and Al Born (I think it was AL) followed by Larry Maiers and his cameraman came over to check me and my bike out and wish me good luck. John complimented me on my bike, and I thanked him for making such a wonderful machine.  We had a nice quick conversation before I headed to the line.  Words of encouragement and praise from the master himself, that alone would have made the weekend complete for me.  I didn't realize it until later but the whole thing was filmed by Larry's guy.  Could it show up on Speedvision???  I think my head would explode.

2.  Saturday afternoon after the days events were over I was trying (unsuccessfully) to fix my smashed throttle cable.  I had smacked it on a tree and pinched it.  It was sticking terribly, that is part of the reason for the dive in the mud.  I bought a new cable from Al Buehner but it had the wrong end on it.  I was just about to call it quits.  Dave Sanders saw my predicament and came to the rescue.  He went over and pulled the throttle cable off of one of his restored display bikes and gave it to me.  No hesitation, no payback expected, just "here you go, Wish I had thought of it earlier, could have saved you some time".  I had met Dave before and knew he was a nice guy and a devoted Penton nut.  But this was above the call of duty.  To adjust an old add slogan:  You meet the nicest people on a PENTON.

3.  Watching Kevin Brown absolutely FLY on the 74 250 he pilots.  That man knows how to go incredibly fast on a vintage machine.  The fastest MX time was set by Dick Burleson on a new KTM open class bike.  Kevin's time was only 7.5 seconds slower.  That is why he is the AHRMA national champ.

To finish I just have to say to everyone that was not there BE THERE NEXT YEAR.

Mark Annan