Carb Float Question Help

Started by desmond197, September 25, 2008, 01:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

I am restoring a 250 Harescambler with a Bing carb and when you push the tickler button down gas keeps flowing out of it when it is released indicating the float needle not closing. Is there a quick fix for this or do I need to buy a new needle. Took the carb apart several times and everything looks OK but needle seems to be sticking open.

slvrbrdfxr

Desmond,
You might try looking at the float arm where the needle contacts it and see if there is depression worn into the float arm. If so, take some light sandpaper and completely remove the depression then recheck the float level. Also take a Q-tip wet with laquer thinner and clean the needle seat throughly and then blow it dry with compressed air. Before reassembling the carb do a quick test to check and see if the needle is now sealing. Take a new piece of fuel hose and install it on the carb fuel inlet. Then slowly invert the carb so the float will close off the needle and try blowing air by mouth throught the fuel hose. If you can't blow air through the hose then it should be sealing properly. If you can blow air through the hose then I'd say to replace the needle and seat. You can also test the function of the tickler while the carb is inverted by blowing into the hose and pushing the tickler button. You should be able to blow through the hose while pushing the button and then the needle should seal off again once it's released. I always test my carbs in this fashion before installing them back on the bike and it seems to work pretty well. Good luck !!
Dave McCullough

desmond197

Thanks Dave I will give it a try.

tomale

I had a interesting thing happen to me on one of my bing carbs... I pushed down the tickler and it would not even reach the float.... So the result was it would not flood the carb making starting the bike almost impossible. what was wrong... a small rock lodged in behind the tickler and would not allow it to move completely thru the stoke... Problem solved...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W