Kick Shaft Seal Leak – 1974 Penton 250

Started by LarryVolenec, October 17, 2008, 08:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryVolenec

Starting to get a leak on the kick shaft seal that I would like to address.  Currently, there are two o-rings and a PVC spacer in place.  The Parts Manual shows a single seal that has a square cross section and says the shifter shaft and kick shaft both use the same seal.  Shafts are different diameters so this must be a misprint for the 250.

Looking for the following:
1. Source for the original style seal for the kick shaft and part number (I believe Al is selling the o-rings).
2. Dimensions for the PVC spacer (ID, OD, width) and any special counter bore information.
3. If original style seal is not available, what is the best substitute (part info and source appreciated).

Thanks in advance for your posts.

Larry Volenec
Daytona Beach, FL

Rocket

I don't believe the 14mm kicker shafts used anything other than the o-ring and the spacer, the 12mm kicker shafts, 175 and very early 250 bikes use a lip seal.
Rocket

john durrill

Rocket ,
 Does anyone have the measurements for the PVC spacer? Larry may have a home made one and that could be part of the problem.

tmc3c

Larry , I have a 74 250 and the o-ring is what seals and the spacer is for protection. The spacer also is to get the kick starter away from the shifter.1 o-ring and 1 spacer according to my manual.I hope this helps!!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Jerry Chafton

Larry,
I just finished replacing the clutch cover gasket, kick starter o-ring and shifter seal on my 74 Harescrambler. I had a big leak at the o-ring. I used a new o-ring, the old pvc spacer and a large flat washer over the shaft to help hold the spacer in tight. It solved my problem so far. Hope this helps.

LarryVolenec

I appreciate everyone's feedback on the standard kick shaft seal installation of 1 o-ring and the PVC spacer.

Thanks!

Larry