Tulsa

Started by Kip Kern, November 03, 2008, 08:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Kern

OK, let's hear what went on at the ISDTRR, I am dying to hear about the fun!

TGTech

Don't know exactly where to start, since I didn't ride the event, but was there for the whole weekend. The weather was absolutely marvelous, sunny all three days; temps in the high 70's (low 80's on Saturday). On Sunday morning there was some very serious fog, but the riders didn't say that they had trouble with the fog. Everybody I've talked to, said that the trail and tests were really great. There were four riders on each minute and there were 45 minutes of riders. I don't know if every minute had all four riders, but it was a great turn out. The banquet was really nice, though the facility was a little strange but very plush. There were three rooms with glass walls between them and sound systems in each room, but it would have been better if everybody had been in a single room.

The trail section on Saturday was 56 miles and 36 miles on Sunday. The motocross event finished up about 3:30 and we (John Penton, Jack Penton, Adam Penton, Art Busick, Al Born, and I) hit the road at 5:00 and got home at around 11:30

Dane

Ernie Phillips

Fantastic Event.  TTR did a wonderful job with the trails and organizing the whole deal.  My favorite was the second special test both days.  We ran through 6 foot tall grass in hilly terrrain into  which a 4 foot wide swat had been mowed.  It reminded me of a giant slot car track.  But, unlike a slot car track there was no groove nor could you get a birds-eye view.   You could not see turn-to-turn, you just sort'a guessed which way to go.  Gas it, brake, turn right, gas it, brake, turn left, then right, gas it, oh no! decreasing radius -- slide out, keep motor running, pick bike up, gas it ....  Ryan Penton has a 2 second lead on me in Sportsman 200 int. after day one.  I think I had a 2 second lead on him going into the final 5 lap Grass Track Sunday afternoon.  I had a spot of good luck, he didn't.  Penton riders did very well, especially in 100cc:  Brian Kirby won Expert.  Christopher won 100cc Intermediate.  Transponders worked great and you could see up to date scoring throughout the event.  There were Hodakas everywhere!  One would be stopped along the trail and before you knew it, a whole swarm of them would be gathered helping one another.  I think they were cross-breeding and mutating.  I know they had fun.  Everyone had fun!

Ready to Go - Saturday

Solid Gold; Ernie, Christopher, Wendell, Brian

Trail Side - Saturday

Jack Penton Cookin' - Saturday Grass Track 1 lap Special

Day 2 - Sunday Morning

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

DKWRACER

Kip, I left this year's RR with a sense of "Penton Pride" there are many stories.........there is Gold.........in those hills.

Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

lksseven

I missed Paul Danik and Dennis Jones!!  I was looking forward to seeing you two.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

Joe Murphy

check the video on You Tube.
search for "Tulsa Trail Riders, Zink"
not great video but good enough.
murph  314

Dennis Jones

Larry, Trust me, I really missed being there. The stars just didn't line up right. It looks like Pentons were well represented.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

brian kirby

Man, where do I start? What a great weekend. The SoCal Berkshire ran like a cruise missle all weekend. I learned one thing in the first terrain test, the Berkie WILL run at full throttle in 6th gear for 20+ seconds without seizing. I dont know how fast the bike was going with the gearing I had, but I know it was tapped. My only mechanical failure is the mud flap on my front fender fell off. I guess I cant complain too much. We pitted with Tom Flores, Skip Miller and the whole Penton Clan. What a down to earth bunch of folks, if you didnt know they were world famous racers who started the off road revolution in the U.S. you would think they were just regular folks like the rest of us out for a fun weekend. Mr Al Born and my Mom worked a road crossing together and I think they are buddies for ever. I will put up some pictures tonight.

Brian

'73 Berkshire Team  d-Con
//www.d-conproducts.com America's #1 Rodent Control Brand
Brian

SouthRider

Yes, The event was awesome. Trails were great, the club went out of their way to give us trails that were as easy on these old bikes as possible.

There WERE rocks, but nothing that bad or dangerous. The entire course was ridable, and most important FUN.

A GREAT BIG round of APPLAUSE to the Tulsa Trail Riders for a superb job concerning the trail, the organization, and everything else about this weekend. Every aspect was 1st class.

Dane is right though - with the event growing so much it is going to get harder & harder to find a banquet hall large enough to accomodate us that is within reasonable distance from the racing sites.

Signup was easy - scoring was quick - it was fantastic to be able to watch results updated live on a widescreen TV at race headquarters while riders were still participating.

My little Berkie was also tapped out wide open in 6th for 5-6 miles at a a time. That is one STRONG little bike. I am just now learning to ride that bike correctly.

Now if only I hadn't got caught up racing with Bob Rigby out in the woods when it didn't matter & eaten the far bank of that little creek crossing....... & with only 8 miles from the finish. Still got my Gold, but boy was I whupped for the final terrain test & the grass track.

It was great seeing Brian & Christopher win the inaugeral 100 Class (Expert & Intermediate) for the POG.

I got soooo tired of passing Hodakas on the trail only to see them again at each check. Just kept wishing for one good old fashioned REAL check out there in the woods to sort em out. They sure rode well in the mx though. Congrats to Paul Stannard for a great showing of Hodies - they were well represented, a classy bunch, and they all helped each other on the trail.

All in all it was fantastic - great people, neat old bikes, and lots of fellowship. Felt just like a kid in a tire swing again....

Clark
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

brian kirby

Clark,

I think the Hodaka guys carried CPR kits with them on the trail. You would see one on the side of the trail, then then would always resuscitate them and you would see them later riding along like nothing happened.:D

Brian

'73 Berkshire Team  d-Con
//www.d-conproducts.com America's #1 Rodent Control Brand
Brian

BobJones

Dave Rozier "Hodaka Dave" rides out of our shop.I think he had 5 of those suckers down there.4 Golds & a bronze.I am still recovering from knee replacement but may have the trusty 250 Harescrambler out in the spring.Sounds like the Hodaka boys got a little of that"European" 6-day stuff going on? I'll have to give Dave some "trouble" about all the medals.Sounds like it was a blast!Sorry I missed it.

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

thrownchain

According to the Vinduro website there were 37 Hodakas on the grid.. Anyone get a count of how many Pentons made it??

brian kirby

I dont know the exact numbers that showed up but there were 25 Pentons on the row assignment list, plus a few 79 KTMs.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Kip Kern

Fantastic, Thanks fellows, the photos remind me of the "04" event.  Great response![:p]

brian kirby

Some pictures my Mom took:

Foggy day two start

Young Ted and Davie on the trail

Joe Murphy

Ernie

Uncle Ed

Dragging a footpeg in the 1 lap grass track test

Al Born watching me dig up Zink Ranch

100cc grass track start. 17 bikes total, 3 Berkshires

Kid Christopher

The highlight of my weekend, "Mr.100" shaking my hand after the 100 moto